first shark killed in australia cull
Last Updated : GMT 05:17:37
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
Last Updated : GMT 05:17:37
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice

First shark killed in Australia cull

Emiratesvoice, emirates voice

Emiratesvoice, emirates voice First shark killed in Australia cull

Sydney - AFP

  The first shark caught under a controversial new Australian culling policy aimed at reducing fatal attacks was shot dead Sunday after being snared, angering conservationists. The three-metre (10-feet) creature, reported to be a female tiger shark, was caught on bait lines set off Australia's west coast in the past 24 hours under a policy approved by the national government. A fisherman contracted to patrol the lines found the shark snared off Meelup Beach early Sunday and, according to media reports, shot it in the head four times at close range. Western Australia state premier Colin Barnett was heckled by a protester at a public function after the kill was made public but was unapologetic about the plan, which has been met with criticism and demonstrations. "I get no pleasure out of seeing sharks killed but I have an overriding responsibility to protect the people of Western Australia," Barnett told reporters. "When you have sharks that are three, four, five metres long of known aggressive varieties, swimming in the water very close to beachgoers, that is an imminent danger." Under the plan, approved by Canberra last week under an exemption to national environmental protection laws, baited drum lines with hooks can be set one kilometre (0.62 miles) off busy Western Australian beaches until April 30. It follows six fatal maulings off the west coast in the past two years, leading local marine experts to declare it the deadliest shark attack area in the world. Any shark longer than three metres snagged by the lines and deemed to be a threat -- including great white, bull and tiger sharks -- will be humanely destroyed. Activists slammed the first killing Sunday, with the Conservation Council warning of a "pretty significant public backlash". "This is just going to increase the level of public opposition to the shark cull when people see images and hear stories of these sharks being culled," said council director Piers Verstegen. "It is certainly a sad day for our marine life and for thousands of people in WA opposed to killing endangered sharks," he added. While sharks are common in Australian waters, deadly attacks are rare, with only one of the average 15 incidents a year typically proving fatal.

Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

first shark killed in australia cull first shark killed in australia cull

 



Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

first shark killed in australia cull first shark killed in australia cull

 



GMT 10:18 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon eight

GMT 10:21 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon eleven

GMT 10:18 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon seven

GMT 09:58 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon four

GMT 10:31 2014 Tuesday ,23 December

Mirages of failure: Lebanon cannot wait

GMT 03:20 2016 Monday ,16 May

Chinese Super League soccer standings

GMT 10:19 2018 Tuesday ,23 January

Dutch BMX Olympic medallist out of coma

GMT 13:12 2015 Saturday ,09 May

Sheikh Sultan opens Sharjah Centre

GMT 11:16 2012 Tuesday ,14 February

Mediterranean diet good for brain

GMT 12:05 2017 Monday ,20 February

Nishikori suffers sixth successive final loss

GMT 22:08 2017 Sunday ,05 November

MoE toughens measures to enhance schools performance

GMT 08:54 2018 Monday ,22 January

Women's Health appoints acting fashion director

GMT 08:52 2018 Sunday ,21 January

Brexit special trade agreement possible

GMT 13:12 2017 Saturday ,05 August

Explore Montreal, a European-style

GMT 10:07 2017 Wednesday ,08 March

Pacquiao-Khan fight off
 
 Emirates Voice Facebook,emirates voice facebook  Emirates Voice Twitter,emirates voice twitter Emirates Voice Rss,emirates voice rss  Emirates Voice Youtube,emirates voice youtube  Emirates Voice Youtube,emirates voice youtube

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

emiratesvoieen emiratesvoiceen emiratesvoiceen emiratesvoiceen
emiratesvoice emiratesvoice emiratesvoice
emiratesvoice
بناية النخيل - رأس النبع _ خلف السفارة الفرنسية _بيروت - لبنان
emiratesvoice, Emiratesvoice, Emiratesvoice