Press Complaints Commission (PCC) chairman Lord Hunt Friday defended plans to scrap the body before the judge Lord Leveson completes his inquiry into media standards. The industry\'s self-regulator will close this year after failing to recover from its decision not to fully investigate phone hacking allegations at the News of the World newspaper. Lord Hunt, who became chairman after predecessor Baroness Peta Buscombe who quit last year amid mounting claims of hacking at the now-defunct Sunday tabloid, claimed he would replace the PCC with a \"robust, independent regulator with teeth\". He said: \"British people deserve a Press that takes its responsibilities seriously and exercises professional standards by recognising that the precious freedom it enjoys is a privilege, not a God-given right.\" Speaking to the BBC domestic Radio, former Conservative Cabinet Minister Lord Hunt said Lord Leveson had urged him to \"press on\" with reforming the regulator. Lord Hunt said: \"I decided early on that the problem really was that the PCC was being criticised for not exercising powers it never had in the first place, so I recommended we start again with a new body with a Press regulator with teeth.\" He said the PCC would continue to deal with readers\' complaints while the new body was created and said panel members of the PCC backed his plan. He added: \"What the PCC has done is to accept my advice that we should now in principle move forward into a new body, transferring the existing assets and liabilities. \"But the most important thing of all is to do something that will restore the public trust and confidence in the Press.\" The chairman denied statutory powers were needed, but admitted he needed to persuade publishers and newspaper proprietors to \"subscribe and pay for a new body, a regulator with teeth\", adding: \"Then at least I will have started to do what I think the public wants to see.\" Prime Minister David Cameron asked Lord Leveson to investigate newspaper practices following disclosures the News of the World listened to voicemails left on the phone of murdered schoolgirl Milly Dowler. The News of the World and its sister newspaper the Sun admitted phone hacking of hundreds of celebrities, public figures and ordinary people. Several journalists from the two newspapers were arrested as part of the police investigation into the scandal which rocked the media empire of the press Baron Rupert Murdoch.
GMT 01:03 2018 Wednesday ,24 January
Trump 'imitates' Modi's accent in private conversation: ReportGMT 21:24 2018 Tuesday ,23 January
Puigdemont accuses EU of not defending rights in CataloniaGMT 21:18 2018 Tuesday ,23 January
Vietnam oil exec 'kidnapped' from Germany jailed for lifeGMT 21:08 2018 Tuesday ,23 January
Turkey in new assault on Kurdish militiaGMT 21:04 2018 Tuesday ,23 January
Turkey detains 24 over 'terror propaganda'GMT 20:52 2018 Tuesday ,23 January
Dawoodi Bohra leader arrives in DubaiGMT 22:09 2018 Monday ,22 January
Israel apologises to JordanGMT 16:11 2018 Sunday ,21 January
Pope condemns criminals in crime-stricken Peruvian city

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Send your comments
Your comment as a visitor