
Israel denied accusations Wednesday that it was behind the assassination of a top Hezbollah commander and warned the Lebanese Shiite movement against any attack. "If Hezbollah attacks Israeli territory our response will be firm and painful," Deputy Defence Minister Danny Danon was quoted by army radio as saying following the accusations. Early on Wednesday, Hezbollah announced that Hassan Hawlo al-Lakiss had been assassinated during the night at his house in the Hadath region, east of Beirut. "Direct accusation is aimed of course against the Israeli enemy which had tried to eliminate our martyred brother again and again and in several places but had failed, until yesterday evening," a Hezbollah statement said. In response, foreign ministry spokesman Yigal Palmor told AFP "Israel has nothing to do with this. "This is yet another Pavlovian response from Hezbollah, which makes automatic accusations (against Israel) before even thinking about what's actually happened," he added. Lakiss was the most senior Hezbollah figure to be assassinated since Imad Mughniyeh was killed in a Damascus bombing in 2008, which the group also blamed on Israel. Both men were part of Hezbollah's secretive top leadership. Israel's Energy Minister Silvan Shalom reiterated Palmor's denial, telling public radio: "Israel has nothing to do with this. "Even if we're happy about it, it's the Salafists who have carried it out," Shalom said of extremist Sunni Muslim groups that oppose the Shiite, Iran-backed Hezbollah. "It's a harsh blow for Hezbollah, which has tried to present the assassination (as Israeli) in order to distract from internal wrangling and divisions in Lebanon brought on by the Syrian" civil war, Shalom said. Hezbollah's decision to intervene in Syria has fuelled tensions inside Lebanon, which is bitterly divided over the war. Hezbollah emerged during Lebanon's civil war in the 1980s with the aim of driving Israeli forces out of the country and battled the Jewish state to a bloody stalemate in 2006. Hezbollah said Lakiss's son was killed in the 2006 war, which claimed the lives of some 1,200 Lebanese, mainly civilians, and more than 150 Israelis, mainly soldiers.
GMT 01:03 2018 Wednesday ,24 January
Trump 'imitates' Modi's accent in private conversation: ReportGMT 21:24 2018 Tuesday ,23 January
Puigdemont accuses EU of not defending rights in CataloniaGMT 21:18 2018 Tuesday ,23 January
Vietnam oil exec 'kidnapped' from Germany jailed for lifeGMT 21:08 2018 Tuesday ,23 January
Turkey in new assault on Kurdish militiaGMT 21:04 2018 Tuesday ,23 January
Turkey detains 24 over 'terror propaganda'GMT 20:52 2018 Tuesday ,23 January
Dawoodi Bohra leader arrives in DubaiGMT 22:09 2018 Monday ,22 January
Israel apologises to JordanGMT 16:11 2018 Sunday ,21 January
Pope condemns criminals in crime-stricken Peruvian city

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Send your comments
Your comment as a visitor