A British and an Italian hostage held by militant groups in Nigeria have been killed by their captures after a joint British-Nigerian rescue operation failed to free them. “It is with great regret that I have to say that both Chris and Franco [the two hostages] have lost their lives,” British Prime Minister David Cameron said on Thursday, adding that “We are still awaiting confirmation of the details, but the early indications are clear that both men were murdered by their captors, before they could be rescued.” Cameron added that he had authorized the mission after receiving credible information regarding the hostages’ location. The two were abducted by militant groups nearly a year ago. Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan blamed the killing on the militant group Boko Haram and said the perpetrators had been arrested. “The president, who particularly commended the cooperation and understanding of the British and Italian governments, assured that the perpetrators of the murderous act, who have all been arrested, would be made to face the full wrath of the law,” a statement released from Jonathan’s office said. Meanwhile, seven other people were killed in an attack by gunmen on a police station and two banks in a remote part of northeast Nigeria. At least four of the dead were police officers. Militant group Boko Haram has been blamed for increasingly deadly attacks in Nigeria -- Africa's most populous nation and largest oil producer.
GMT 01:03 2018 Wednesday ,24 January
Trump 'imitates' Modi's accent in private conversation: ReportGMT 21:24 2018 Tuesday ,23 January
Puigdemont accuses EU of not defending rights in CataloniaGMT 21:18 2018 Tuesday ,23 January
Vietnam oil exec 'kidnapped' from Germany jailed for lifeGMT 21:08 2018 Tuesday ,23 January
Turkey in new assault on Kurdish militiaGMT 21:04 2018 Tuesday ,23 January
Turkey detains 24 over 'terror propaganda'GMT 20:52 2018 Tuesday ,23 January
Dawoodi Bohra leader arrives in DubaiGMT 22:09 2018 Monday ,22 January
Israel apologises to JordanGMT 16:11 2018 Sunday ,21 January
Pope condemns criminals in crime-stricken Peruvian city

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Send your comments
Your comment as a visitor