italy\s l\aquila mayor resigns amid bribery scandals in postquake reconstruction
Last Updated : GMT 05:17:37
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
Last Updated : GMT 05:17:37
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice

Italy\'s L\'Aquila mayor resigns amid bribery scandals in post-quake reconstruction

Emiratesvoice, emirates voice

Emiratesvoice, emirates voice Italy\'s L\'Aquila mayor resigns amid bribery scandals in post-quake reconstruction

Rome - XINHUA

Massimo Cialente, the mayor of L'Aquila, the city in central Italy that was hit by a deadly earthquake in 2009, resigned on Saturday amid mounting scandals over bribery in the post-quake reconstruction. "I reflected and decided so in the interest of the city," Cialente told a press conference called to announce his decision. Elected in 2007, the center-left mayor had been confirmed for a second term in 2012. Last week, eight people including high-profiled public officers at the time of the alleged crimes were put under investigation and four of them under house arrest over bribery allegations related to reconstruction works after the earthquake. Though Cialente was not involved in the investigation, Deputy Mayor Roberto Riga and the delegate for the rebuilding projects Vladimiro Placidi as well as the current director of the local health district Pierluigi Tancredi were among the people being investigated. Riga, who also was town planning councilor at the time of the alleged crimes, denied all charges, but resigned over the allegations. All people under investigation were charged with corruption, fraudulent claims and pillaging. According to prosecutors, they took part in falsifying documents and contracts worth more than 1.2 million euros (1.6 million U.S. dollars), while bribes for 500,000 euros (683,419 U.S. dollars) were allegedly paid in the first phase of reconstruction, between September 2009 and July 2011. On Saturday, Il Fatto Quotidiano newspaper unveiled a series of transcripts from a wiretapped phone conversation between L'Aquila's former councilor for public works Ermanno Lisi and an architect, Pio Ciccone. "The earthquake was a stroke of luck," Lisi told Ciccone. "The possibilities are billionaires. I am going to try to take 160 houses, if you do not use this occasion you will not have another one," he added. More than 300 people were killed and over 50,000 were left homeless in the devastating earthquake, that struck on April 6, 2009 and was felt throughout central Italy, making this the deadliest tremor to hit Italy since the 1980 Irpinia earthquake.

Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

italy\s l\aquila mayor resigns amid bribery scandals in postquake reconstruction italy\s l\aquila mayor resigns amid bribery scandals in postquake reconstruction

 



Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

italy\s l\aquila mayor resigns amid bribery scandals in postquake reconstruction italy\s l\aquila mayor resigns amid bribery scandals in postquake reconstruction

 



GMT 10:18 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon eight

GMT 10:21 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon eleven

GMT 10:18 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon seven

GMT 09:58 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon four

GMT 01:08 2017 Sunday ,08 October

Hawaii gets chance to make case for fighting

GMT 08:13 2017 Wednesday ,10 May

UAE Ambassador to UK, Minister discuss relations

GMT 07:16 2018 Thursday ,18 January

Macron's tapestry gesture risks rousing

GMT 12:04 2017 Sunday ,17 December

US plans Middle East peace push after 'cooling off'

GMT 02:38 2017 Tuesday ,25 July

Bahrain Parents Care Society launches programme

GMT 06:47 2016 Sunday ,15 May

2 journalists shot dead in 24 hours in India

GMT 03:40 2017 Thursday ,27 July

Jordan dealt with embassy’s crime in accordance

GMT 10:21 2012 Thursday ,01 March

Small Spaced Garden Tips

GMT 08:30 2016 Sunday ,10 April

War photographer and mother, the woman

GMT 23:31 2017 Saturday ,24 June

Israeli forces push deep
 
 Emirates Voice Facebook,emirates voice facebook  Emirates Voice Twitter,emirates voice twitter Emirates Voice Rss,emirates voice rss  Emirates Voice Youtube,emirates voice youtube  Emirates Voice Youtube,emirates voice youtube

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

emiratesvoieen emiratesvoiceen emiratesvoiceen emiratesvoiceen
emiratesvoice emiratesvoice emiratesvoice
emiratesvoice
بناية النخيل - رأس النبع _ خلف السفارة الفرنسية _بيروت - لبنان
emiratesvoice, Emiratesvoice, Emiratesvoice