jewish leader blasts return of nazi art trove to recluse
Last Updated : GMT 05:17:37
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
Last Updated : GMT 05:17:37
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice

Jewish leader blasts return of Nazi art trove to recluse

Emiratesvoice, emirates voice

Emiratesvoice, emirates voice Jewish leader blasts return of Nazi art trove to recluse

Berlin - AFP

The leader of Germany's Jewish community on Thursday slammed a decision by authorities to return hundreds of paintings to a recluse accused of hoarding priceless artworks believed stolen by the Nazis. The president of the Central Council of Jews in Germany, Dieter Graumann, said the aim by prosecutors to give back some 300 works as early as next week was an irresponsible choice. "After the whole thing was handled over 18 months nearly conspiratorially, the hasty reaction for a general return is certainly also the wrong one," he told the daily Sueddeutsche Zeitung, stressing that the case had a "moral and historical dimension". The chief prosecutor in the southern city of Augsburg, who is investigating 80-year-old Cornelius Gurlitt on charges including tax evasion, acknowledged Tuesday that many of the hundreds of works confiscated from his home in February 2012 clearly belonged to him outright. Prosecutor Reinhard Nemetz said he had asked a task force working on the spectacular find to identify such paintings "as soon as possible". The head of the World Jewish Congress, Ronald S. Lauder, told AFP this week that the decision to quickly give Gurlitt several works before making headway on the provenance of the looted art in the stash was "outrageous". Gurlitt is the son and heir of a powerful art dealer tasked by the Nazis with selling works that they stole, extorted or seized in exchange for hard currency, and with handpicking masterpieces for a "Fuehrer Museum" for Adolf Hitler in the Austrian city of Linz that was never built. Customs police seized the works, including masterpieces by Picasso, Matisse and Chagall, during the raid last year on Gurlitt's Munich flat. Authorities had initially said that the haul included 1,406 artworks but a spokesman for Nemetz told AFP that because some of the sketches could no longer be counted as separate works, the official total was now about 1,280. Prosecutors were Thursday to post pictures and titles of nearly 600 works in the hoard thought to have been looted from Jewish families by the Nazis on an official website, www.lostart.de. The remaining artworks, those seized by the Nazis from museums and galleries as avant-garde "degenerate" art, will remain under wraps for now as the investigation continues, authorities said. The case only came to light this month in a magazine article, drawing sharp criticism from victims of Nazi looting who believe their long-lost works may be in the collection.

Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

jewish leader blasts return of nazi art trove to recluse jewish leader blasts return of nazi art trove to recluse

 



Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

jewish leader blasts return of nazi art trove to recluse jewish leader blasts return of nazi art trove to recluse

 



GMT 10:18 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon eight

GMT 10:21 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon eleven

GMT 09:58 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon four

GMT 10:18 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon seven

GMT 06:15 2018 Tuesday ,23 January

Volkswagen clinches record sales

GMT 19:33 2016 Tuesday ,14 June

Labour Party scrambles to avoid Brexit

GMT 06:55 2017 Monday ,09 October

Merkel 'nears refugee deal' with Bavarian allies

GMT 09:08 2016 Thursday ,19 May

EgyptAir Plane: What Could Have Happened

GMT 21:24 2017 Monday ,15 May

Emir Meets Directors of China's HNA Group

GMT 07:31 2014 Monday ,22 September

Our borders are extremely secure

GMT 13:52 2016 Friday ,12 February

Large-scale trials for Zika vaccines

GMT 09:33 2015 Thursday ,12 November

Peru's ancient city Caral
 
 Emirates Voice Facebook,emirates voice facebook  Emirates Voice Twitter,emirates voice twitter Emirates Voice Rss,emirates voice rss  Emirates Voice Youtube,emirates voice youtube  Emirates Voice Youtube,emirates voice youtube

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

emiratesvoieen emiratesvoiceen emiratesvoiceen emiratesvoiceen
emiratesvoice emiratesvoice emiratesvoice
emiratesvoice
بناية النخيل - رأس النبع _ خلف السفارة الفرنسية _بيروت - لبنان
emiratesvoice, Emiratesvoice, Emiratesvoice