
Two suicide attacks that resulted in the death of a Lebanese soldier in the city of Sidon were condemned Monday by Lebanon's leaders and lawmakers. The army officer and three gunmen were killed during attacks in separate parts of the coastal city Sunday night, the Daily Star in Beirut reported. President Michel Sleiman said the "criminal, terrorist act" came at a time the Lebanese public was looking for protection and stability from the army. Najib Mikati, the country's caretaker prime minister, called for support of Lebanon's security agencies "and to prevent [anyone] messing with our security." The attacks were a "cowardly terrorist act," said Sheik Abdel-Amir Qabalan, vice president of the Higher Shiite Council. Former Prime Minister Saad Hariri called the attackers "a group of misled and irresponsible people," saying Sidon would not be "dragged into a confrontation with the Lebanese army." The attackers were believed to be supporters of Sheik Ahmad Amir whose fighters clashed with the army in Sidon earlier in the year.
GMT 01:03 2018 Wednesday ,24 January
Trump 'imitates' Modi's accent in private conversation: ReportGMT 21:24 2018 Tuesday ,23 January
Puigdemont accuses EU of not defending rights in CataloniaGMT 21:18 2018 Tuesday ,23 January
Vietnam oil exec 'kidnapped' from Germany jailed for lifeGMT 21:08 2018 Tuesday ,23 January
Turkey in new assault on Kurdish militiaGMT 21:04 2018 Tuesday ,23 January
Turkey detains 24 over 'terror propaganda'GMT 20:52 2018 Tuesday ,23 January
Dawoodi Bohra leader arrives in DubaiGMT 22:09 2018 Monday ,22 January
Israel apologises to JordanGMT 16:11 2018 Sunday ,21 January
Pope condemns criminals in crime-stricken Peruvian city

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Send your comments
Your comment as a visitor