libya rules out british visit to investigate lockerbie bombing
Last Updated : GMT 05:17:37
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
Last Updated : GMT 05:17:37
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice

Libya rules out British visit to investigate Lockerbie bombing

Emiratesvoice, emirates voice

Emiratesvoice, emirates voice Libya rules out British visit to investigate Lockerbie bombing

Tripoli - AFP

Libya’s interior minister on Tuesday ruled out a visit by British police to investigate the 1988 Lockerbie bombing or the killing of British policewoman Yvonne Fletcher almost two decades ago. “There is no treaty between Britain and Libya to allow such a thing,” Fawzi Abdelali told AFP in a joint interview with a British newspaper, adding that London had some explaining to do on its own dealings with Muammar Qaddafi’s ousted regime. “Why did they shut up about this all these years and bring it up now, when we are in a period of transition and building up our institutions from scratch after decades of dictatorship,” the minister asked. “Do you remember when Fletcher was killed? We are now in 2012. Where was the British government from 1984 until 2011?” said the former district attorney who now has access to tens of thousands of files on Qaddafi’s dealings with world leaders. For his part, Abdelali said he wanted allegations to be investigated by the ousted leader’s jailed son Seif al-Islam that former British prime minister Tony Blair ad acted as a political adviser to his father. Blair played a key role in repairing diplomatic ties between the two countries and visited the north African nation several times after 2004. “Why did the British government improve its relations with Qaddafi? Something happened in this case between the former Libyan regime and the British government to end this dispute,” said the minister. “Didn’t America and Britain accept millions of dollars from Qaddafi as the price to end this case (Lockerbie)? Who let Abdelbaset al-Megrahi go? Did we?” he asked, referring to the Libyan convicted of the Lockerbie bombing in which 270 people died. A Scottish court in 2001 convicted Megrahi but he was released on compassionate grounds in 2009 after doctors said he had terminal cancer and only three months left to live. The interior minister proposed that the British government ask Libyan authorities to open an investigation inside Libya, and the Libyan side would then share its findings with police in Britain. But any decision would have to await the election of a new government in Libya, which is expected to vote on a constituent assembly in the last week of June, Abdelali stressed. London has also been seeking information on the 1984 murder of British policewoman Yvonne Fletcher during a demonstration outside the Libyan embassy in the British capital. Libya’s new rulers have promised to find and bring to trial the main surviving suspect in the case, one of her former colleagues, retired police officer John Murray, said last September. The fatal shots were believed to have come from within the embassy, but all the staff were deported back to Libya under diplomatic immunity and no charges have ever been brought. Following the overthrow of Qaddafi, however, Murray travelled to Tripoli and said progress had finally being made in the case, but there have since been no concrete developments. British-Libyan relations have been put in the spotlight by the desecration of World War II graves in the eastern city of Benghazi and the detention of two British journalists by a renegade militia in Tripoli. “We condemn all acts against any grave or sacred place, so we were saddened and upset by this,” said the interior minister. Abdelali added his ministry has called on authorities in Benghazi to investigate and arrest those responsible but that the Islamic “fundamentalist” culprits were still at large. The minister added that his forces were capable of raiding the base where reporter Nick Davies and cameraman Gareth Montgomery-Johnson have been held since February 23, accused of illegal entry and possible espionage. “We are capable of applying a military solution but this would cost a lot of blood so we continue to negotiate,” said Abdelali.  

Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

libya rules out british visit to investigate lockerbie bombing libya rules out british visit to investigate lockerbie bombing

 



Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

libya rules out british visit to investigate lockerbie bombing libya rules out british visit to investigate lockerbie bombing

 



GMT 10:18 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon seven

GMT 09:58 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon four

GMT 10:16 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon five

GMT 06:15 2018 Tuesday ,23 January

Volkswagen clinches record sales

GMT 09:54 2018 Wednesday ,24 January

'Friendly and kind' N. Korean skaters

GMT 10:18 2018 Thursday ,30 August

Iran incapable of closing Hormuz, Bab Al Mandeb

GMT 11:38 2017 Tuesday ,14 November

Barrett gets shot at World Rugby award double

GMT 22:28 2011 Thursday ,10 February

The intermingling of the domestic and the foreign

GMT 06:38 2017 Monday ,21 August

First eclipse in 99 years to sweep North America

GMT 06:59 2017 Saturday ,13 May

King's support at Windsor

GMT 08:12 2017 Sunday ,19 November

EU-Mercosur free-trade pact supporters push for deal

GMT 08:23 2012 Saturday ,18 February

Pop star Katy Perry will donate

GMT 05:11 2013 Sunday ,29 December

Lea Michele to release solo album

GMT 07:02 2011 Sunday ,07 August

Canadian dollar falls on slowing global economy

GMT 06:42 2011 Sunday ,03 July

China\'s service activity cools in June

GMT 10:38 2011 Tuesday ,13 December

Kingdom\'s GDP to grow 5.1% in 2011
 
 Emirates Voice Facebook,emirates voice facebook  Emirates Voice Twitter,emirates voice twitter Emirates Voice Rss,emirates voice rss  Emirates Voice Youtube,emirates voice youtube  Emirates Voice Youtube,emirates voice youtube

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

emiratesvoieen emiratesvoiceen emiratesvoiceen emiratesvoiceen
emiratesvoice emiratesvoice emiratesvoice
emiratesvoice
بناية النخيل - رأس النبع _ خلف السفارة الفرنسية _بيروت - لبنان
emiratesvoice, Emiratesvoice, Emiratesvoice