nato all targets struck in libya were military
Last Updated : GMT 05:17:37
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
Last Updated : GMT 05:17:37
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice

NATO: All targets struck in Libya were military

Emiratesvoice, emirates voice

Emiratesvoice, emirates voice NATO: All targets struck in Libya were military

Brussels - AP

All targets that NATO hit during the bombing of Libya were legitimate military sites, the alliance said Monday, despite the findings of a UN expert panel that said 60 civilians were killed and 55 wounded in the airstrikes it investigated. NATO Secretary-General Anders Fogh Rasmussen welcomed the finding by the UN-appointed Commission of Inquiry on Libya that the alliance had “conducted a highly precise campaign with a demonstrable determination to avoid civilian casualties.” Friday’s report in Geneva said NATO did not deliberately target civilians but that in five cases where the alliance claimed to have struck command-and-control centers or staging areas, the experts could identify no military targets. The panel said it couldn’t reach a conclusion on those issues, citing lack of evidence and urged further investigation. NATO warplanes flew 18,000 sorties during the 7-month campaign, which ended in October. Fogh Rasmussen said NATO had looked into all allegations of harm to civilians, including assessments of all NATO records of target selection and other data gathered after the strike. “This review process has confirmed that the targets we struck were legitimate military targets ... and that great care was taken in each case to minimize risk to civilians,” he told reporters. “No target was approved or attacked if we had any evidence or reason to believe that civilians were at risk. Hundreds of possible targets were passed up or aborted at the last minute to avoid any risk to civilians.” In November, Luis Moreno-Ocampo, the prosecutor of the international war crimes tribunal, said his office would examine allegations of crimes committed by all sides in last year’s fighting, including NATO. The prosecutor’s statement does not necessarily mean a formal investigation will be opened. Following the release of the UN Commission’s findings, Moreno-Ocampo may decide there is no need for further investigation or ask judges for authorization to open a formal probe. Some human rights advocates and attorneys for the victims have criticized NATO for not acknowledging the bombing caused civilian casualties despite the precautions taken, and for refusing to consider compensation.

Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

nato all targets struck in libya were military nato all targets struck in libya were military

 



Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

nato all targets struck in libya were military nato all targets struck in libya were military

 



GMT 10:16 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon five

GMT 09:58 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon four

GMT 10:18 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon seven

GMT 05:04 2024 Tuesday ,06 February

Skincare PR Performance Full Year 2017

GMT 19:19 2018 Sunday ,07 January

Has the good fortune for ETFs run its course?

GMT 10:31 2014 Tuesday ,23 December

Mirages of failure: Lebanon cannot wait

GMT 10:35 2011 Thursday ,06 October

3 Syrian Army and Police martyrs laid to rest

GMT 20:32 2014 Tuesday ,16 December

Egypt criticise attack on Pakistan army school

GMT 06:53 2017 Friday ,17 February

Tunisia announces visa exemption for Chinese tourists

GMT 08:23 2017 Wednesday ,01 November

Saudi Arabia to allow women spectators in stadiums

GMT 12:57 2017 Saturday ,28 October

Libyan army deploys additional forces in Oil Crescent

GMT 12:24 2014 Monday ,03 November

Hlavackova, Hradecka team up again after split

GMT 15:58 2013 Sunday ,03 March

Xinhua launches new media newswire service

GMT 08:33 2012 Wednesday ,07 March

GCC swimming championship begins today
 
 Emirates Voice Facebook,emirates voice facebook  Emirates Voice Twitter,emirates voice twitter Emirates Voice Rss,emirates voice rss  Emirates Voice Youtube,emirates voice youtube  Emirates Voice Youtube,emirates voice youtube

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

emiratesvoieen emiratesvoiceen emiratesvoiceen emiratesvoiceen
emiratesvoice emiratesvoice emiratesvoice
emiratesvoice
بناية النخيل - رأس النبع _ خلف السفارة الفرنسية _بيروت - لبنان
emiratesvoice, Emiratesvoice, Emiratesvoice