
NATO officials warned Afghan President Hamid Karzai Monday that he must sign a U.S. troop status accord or put at risk future military and development aid for his country. While planning continues for a post-2014 training and advisory mission after NATO ends combat operations, time is pressing and political and military practicalities mean the agreement must be signed soon, a senior NATO official said. If there is no Afghan-U.S. accord, there is "no post-2014 mission" and likely all the funding and other commitments that go with it, the official told a briefing ahead of a two-day NATO foreign ministers meeting beginning Tuesday. Current NATO aid for Afghan armed forces runs at $4.1 billion (3 billion euros) a year, of which Kabul would only be able to raise $500 million, said the official who asked not to be named. The handling and "appropriate oversight" of aid is a key issue post-2014, given concerns over corruption, and the official said donors would be worried if there was no U.S. and alliance presence to ensure it was spent as intended. Without an agreement, funding "in theory could continue to be forthcoming...but in practice there must be a question whether donors would have the confidence to contribute," said the official. As for non-military development aid totaling some $4.0 billion a year, the official said this was "different but again donors' confidence" could be put in doubt without an accord. Karzai last week refused to sign the Bilateral Security Agreement (BSA), even though a Loya Jirga assembly of tribal leaders that he had convened voted for him to do so. The president, who stands down ahead of elections in April, on Sunday accused Washington of halting essential supplies to some army and police units in an effort to force him to sign. NATO officials said they hoped Karzai would come on board, with the BSA essential for laying down the legal framework for the post-2014 NATO troop presence and role. A similar BSA deal with Iraq collapsed in 2011 leading to a complete U.S. troop pull-out and an upsurge in sectarian violence. About 75,000 NATO combat troops are still deployed in Afghanistan, the majority of them American, and are being steadily drawn down as the alliance prepares to end its longest and biggest ever military operation next year. Under the training and advisory mission, up to 12,000 troops, expected to be mostly American, would be based in Afghanistan.
GMT 01:03 2018 Wednesday ,24 January
Trump 'imitates' Modi's accent in private conversation: ReportGMT 21:24 2018 Tuesday ,23 January
Puigdemont accuses EU of not defending rights in CataloniaGMT 21:18 2018 Tuesday ,23 January
Vietnam oil exec 'kidnapped' from Germany jailed for lifeGMT 21:08 2018 Tuesday ,23 January
Turkey in new assault on Kurdish militiaGMT 21:04 2018 Tuesday ,23 January
Turkey detains 24 over 'terror propaganda'GMT 20:52 2018 Tuesday ,23 January
Dawoodi Bohra leader arrives in DubaiGMT 22:09 2018 Monday ,22 January
Israel apologises to JordanGMT 16:11 2018 Sunday ,21 January
Pope condemns criminals in crime-stricken Peruvian city

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Send your comments
Your comment as a visitor