
A ranking North Korean military officer in charge of conducting intelligence operations defected to South Korea last year, Seoul's Defense Ministry said Monday.
A North Korean senior colonel, whose name has been withheld, defected in 2015 after working at the North's reconnaissance bureau tasked with carrying out espionage missions against the South, the ministry said.
A source familiar with North Korean affairs said that the officer is viewed as an elite among North Koreans who have defected to the South, according to (Yonhap) news agency.
"He is believed to have stated details about the bureau's operations against South Korea to authorities here," the source said.
Kim Yong-chol, a new party secretary handling inter-Korean affairs, had served as the head of the bureau since 2009.
In a separate case, a North Korean diplomat stationed in an African country and his family members defected to South Korea in May last year, said another source with knowledge about North Korea.
Source: QNA
GMT 07:59 2017 Friday ,13 October
UN slaps port bans on ships violatingGMT 12:07 2017 Friday ,05 May
US House Votes To Boost North Korea SanctionsGMT 10:27 2017 Wednesday ,22 March
North Korea fails in new missile test: SeoulGMT 19:29 2017 Sunday ,12 March
UN Secretary-General condemns North Korean ballistic missile testGMT 19:18 2017 Thursday ,09 March
Video emerges of 'son' of assassinated Kim Jong-nam

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Send your comments
Your comment as a visitor