
US President Barack Obama said Sunday that he is considering taking "further action" to support security of American citizens, personnel, and property in South Sudan. On December 21, about 46 additional US military personnel deployed by military aircraft to the area of Bor, South Sudan, "to conduct an operation to evacuate US citizens and personnel." In a letter to Congress, Obama stressed that "after the aircraft came under fire as they approached Bor, the operation was curtailed due to security considerations, and the aircraft and all military personnel onboard departed South Sudan without completing the evacuation." He affirmed that "the purpose of this operation was to protect US citizens, personnel, and property." "As I monitor the situation in South Sudan, I may take further action to support the security of US citizens, personnel, and property, including our Embassy in South Sudan," he noted. Obama added that "this action has been directed consistent with my responsibility to protect US citizens both at home and abroad, and in furtherance of US national security and foreign policy interests, pursuant to my constitutional authority to conduct US foreign relations and as Commander in Chief and Chief Executive." Meanwhile, State Department Spokeswoman Jennifer Psaki said in a statement that the US, in coordination with the United Nations and in consultation with the South Sudanese government, "safely evacuated" American citizens from Bor, South Sudan. She added that the US and the UN "took steps to ensure fighting factions were aware these flights were a humanitarian mission." "The US government is doing everything possible to ensure the safety and security of United States citizens in South Sudan. We are working with our allies around the world to connect with and evacuate US citizens as quickly and safely as possible," she affirmed. She indicated that so far, about 380 US officials and private citizens have been evacuated and approximately 300 citizens of other countries to Nairobi and other locations outside South Sudan on four chartered flights and five military aircraft, adding that "other US citizens may have left through other means." "We strongly recommend US citizens in South Sudan depart immediately," she stressed.
GMT 01:03 2018 Wednesday ,24 January
Trump 'imitates' Modi's accent in private conversation: ReportGMT 21:24 2018 Tuesday ,23 January
Puigdemont accuses EU of not defending rights in CataloniaGMT 21:18 2018 Tuesday ,23 January
Vietnam oil exec 'kidnapped' from Germany jailed for lifeGMT 21:08 2018 Tuesday ,23 January
Turkey in new assault on Kurdish militiaGMT 21:04 2018 Tuesday ,23 January
Turkey detains 24 over 'terror propaganda'GMT 20:52 2018 Tuesday ,23 January
Dawoodi Bohra leader arrives in DubaiGMT 22:09 2018 Monday ,22 January
Israel apologises to JordanGMT 16:11 2018 Sunday ,21 January
Pope condemns criminals in crime-stricken Peruvian city

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Send your comments
Your comment as a visitor