
The Philippine government pledged Wednesday to continue to pursue the peace negotiations with the Communist Party of the Philippines-New People's Army-National Democratic Front (CPP-NPA-NDF) even after the holiday truce ended. "On the president's instructions, Office of the Presidential Adviser on the Peace Process (OPAPP) continues to pursue alternative avenues for attaining peaceful resolution of conflict despite snags and challenges," Presidential Communications Operations secretary Herminio Coloma Jr. said on Wednesday, The Philippine government implemented a nationwide Christmas truce with the New People's Army, from Dec. 21, 2013 to Jan. 15 of 2014, the OPPAP said. OPPAP secretary Teresita Deles said, "The government continues its traditional call for a Christmas ceasefire to allow those in conflict areas, whether soldier, rebel or civilian, safe passage to celebrate Advent with their families, far from all harm." Meanwhile, the Communist Party of the Philippines (CPP) central committee also declared their traditional Yuletide truce starting from Dec. 20, 2012 to Jan. 15, 2013. It has been a tradition that both the government and the CPP declare holiday truce each year, although it differs in duration. The rebel group has been waging a guerrilla campaign in the countryside for more than four decades. The military estimates the NPA strength at more than 4,000 men scattered in more than 60 guerrilla fronts throughout the country. Peace talks between the government and the leftist rebels bogged down in February last year. The Aquino administration is working on a new approach to end the leftist insurgency.
GMT 01:03 2018 Wednesday ,24 January
Trump 'imitates' Modi's accent in private conversation: ReportGMT 21:24 2018 Tuesday ,23 January
Puigdemont accuses EU of not defending rights in CataloniaGMT 21:18 2018 Tuesday ,23 January
Vietnam oil exec 'kidnapped' from Germany jailed for lifeGMT 21:08 2018 Tuesday ,23 January
Turkey in new assault on Kurdish militiaGMT 21:04 2018 Tuesday ,23 January
Turkey detains 24 over 'terror propaganda'GMT 20:52 2018 Tuesday ,23 January
Dawoodi Bohra leader arrives in DubaiGMT 22:09 2018 Monday ,22 January
Israel apologises to JordanGMT 16:11 2018 Sunday ,21 January
Pope condemns criminals in crime-stricken Peruvian city

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Send your comments
Your comment as a visitor