
Defence Minister Tomasz Siemoniak announced on Wednesday that Polish troops would be withdrawn from Afghanistan faster than planned, according to local media. The first step will be a reduction to 500 soldiers by May. "2014 is a year of many priorities. The withdrawal of Polish troops from Afghanistan is the most significant one. Our contingent will be reduced to about 500 soldiers by May 2014. Heavy equipment, including helicopters and armored transporters, will also return to Poland by May," said Siemoniak. He also confirmed that the decision had been made in consultation with Poland's NATO allies. Poland had earlier planned to reduce its final contingent to 1,000 soldiers by the end of 2014. Siemoniak also said that modernization of the Polish Army was a priority for this year and reiterated Poland's aim to conclude the tender for 70 multi-purpose helicopters this year. He expressed satisfaction that the Italian Aermacchi M-346 aircraft had reached the final stage of the tender for a jet trainer. The ministry will also ask four countries to send offers for the construction of three submarines for Poland.
GMT 01:03 2018 Wednesday ,24 January
Trump 'imitates' Modi's accent in private conversation: ReportGMT 21:24 2018 Tuesday ,23 January
Puigdemont accuses EU of not defending rights in CataloniaGMT 21:18 2018 Tuesday ,23 January
Vietnam oil exec 'kidnapped' from Germany jailed for lifeGMT 21:08 2018 Tuesday ,23 January
Turkey in new assault on Kurdish militiaGMT 21:04 2018 Tuesday ,23 January
Turkey detains 24 over 'terror propaganda'GMT 20:52 2018 Tuesday ,23 January
Dawoodi Bohra leader arrives in DubaiGMT 22:09 2018 Monday ,22 January
Israel apologises to JordanGMT 16:11 2018 Sunday ,21 January
Pope condemns criminals in crime-stricken Peruvian city

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Send your comments
Your comment as a visitor