
The United Nations Security Council (UNSC) on Friday strongly condemned the firing of a ballistic missile by the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) earlier in the day.
"Although the DPRK's ballistic missile launch was a failure, this attempt constituted a clear violation of United Nations Security Council resolutions," the Council said in a statement.
The DPRK shall refrain from further actions that violate relevant Security Council resolutions and comply fully with its obligations under these resolutions, the statement said.
UNSC members also highlighted the importance of maintaining peace and stability on the Korean Peninsula, and expressed their commitment to a peaceful, diplomatic and political solution to the situation.
"The members of the Security Council agreed that the Security Council would continue to closely monitor the situation and take further significant measures in line with the Council's previously expressed determination," the statement said.
The UNSC has adopted four resolutions to curb the DPRK's nuclear and missile programs. The latest one adopted in March imposes the most severe sanctions yet on the country, including an export ban and asset freeze.
Source: XINHUA
GMT 06:25 2017 Wednesday ,15 February
Israel wants settlements, not peaceGMT 07:33 2017 Friday ,03 February
UNSC slams attack on UN monitoring team near Nigeria-Cameroon borderGMT 05:49 2017 Wednesday ,04 January
Paris int'l conference an opportunity for making peaceGMT 00:11 2016 Saturday ,31 December
Russia Seeks International Support for Resolution on Syrian ceasefire DealGMT 01:17 2016 Monday ,26 December
Israel summons UNSC ambassadors after settlement vote

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Send your comments
Your comment as a visitor