south korea scoffs at north proposal on insults refuses to scrap drills
Last Updated : GMT 05:17:37
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
Last Updated : GMT 05:17:37
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice

South Korea scoffs at North proposal on insults, refuses to scrap drills

Emiratesvoice, emirates voice

Emiratesvoice, emirates voice South Korea scoffs at North proposal on insults, refuses to scrap drills

Seoul - AFP

South Korea on Friday scoffed at North Korea's proposal for a moratorium on verbal mud-slinging between the two rivals, and rejected Pyongyang's renewed calls to scrap joint military drills with the United States. The annual joint exercises -- which the North routinely condemns as provocative rehearsals for invasion -- will go ahead as scheduled from the end of February, Unification Ministry spokesman Kim Eui-Do told reporters. "Our military exercises are routine annual defensive drills, like those conducted by all sovereign states," Kim said. Last year's exercises were held in the wake of North Korea's third and largest nuclear test, and prompted months of escalated military tensions that saw Pyongyang issue apocalyptic threats of nuclear war against the South and the United States. This time around, North Korea appears to be adopting a carrot-and-stick policy, one day warning of "an unimaginable holocaust" if the drills go ahead and the next offering a mutual end to "all acts of provoking and slandering." The latter proposal, which came as something of a surprise, was made late Thursday by the North's top military body, the National Defence Commission (NDC), which also reiterated the need to cancel the upcoming military manoeuvres. The South's Unification Ministry brushed the proposal aside, saying the only slander and provocation came from the North's side. "We don't slander North Korea so there is nothing for us to stop," spokesman Kim said. If the North truly wants to foster peace and stability on the Korean peninsula, it should stop complaining about the "legitimate" South Korea-US military drills and focus on taking steps to abandon its nuclear weapons programme, he added. Kim also reiterated South Korean President Park Geun-Hye's recent call for the "humanitarian" resumption of reunions for families separated by the 1950-53 Korean War. The North rejected Park's proposal, citing the planned South-US exercises as a major barrier. Analysts said both sides were jockeying for the moral high ground ahead of what is gearing up to be a re-run of last year's display of military brinksmanship, which triggered global concerns of a full-scale conflict.

Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

south korea scoffs at north proposal on insults refuses to scrap drills south korea scoffs at north proposal on insults refuses to scrap drills

 



Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

south korea scoffs at north proposal on insults refuses to scrap drills south korea scoffs at north proposal on insults refuses to scrap drills

 



GMT 10:18 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon eight

GMT 10:21 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon eleven

GMT 10:18 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon seven

GMT 09:58 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon four

GMT 10:08 2018 Wednesday ,24 January

Microsoft to open 4 data centres

GMT 09:54 2018 Wednesday ,24 January

'Friendly and kind' N. Korean skaters

GMT 19:57 2018 Tuesday ,23 January

Farm-fresh from Kerala to the UAE, in just one day

GMT 07:49 2018 Tuesday ,16 January

Football: Giggs set to be named as Wales boss

GMT 20:41 2017 Wednesday ,22 March

Protests, but no revolution in Lebanon

GMT 08:21 2018 Sunday ,21 January

Former armed forces chief to challenge Egypt's Sisi

GMT 05:42 2018 Friday ,12 January

French carmaker PSA uses Macron reforms

GMT 20:41 2017 Tuesday ,28 November

Taleban claim Pakistan suicide attack, 5 killed
 
 Emirates Voice Facebook,emirates voice facebook  Emirates Voice Twitter,emirates voice twitter Emirates Voice Rss,emirates voice rss  Emirates Voice Youtube,emirates voice youtube  Emirates Voice Youtube,emirates voice youtube

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

emiratesvoieen emiratesvoiceen emiratesvoiceen emiratesvoiceen
emiratesvoice emiratesvoice emiratesvoice
emiratesvoice
بناية النخيل - رأس النبع _ خلف السفارة الفرنسية _بيروت - لبنان
emiratesvoice, Emiratesvoice, Emiratesvoice