un holds firstever hearings to pick worlds top diplomat
Last Updated : GMT 05:17:37
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
Last Updated : GMT 05:17:37
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice

UN holds first-ever hearings to pick world's top diplomat

Emiratesvoice, emirates voice

Emiratesvoice, emirates voice UN holds first-ever hearings to pick world's top diplomat

Irina Bokova speaks with reporters on the selection of the next UN Secretary-General
New York - Arab Today

Candidates vying to become the next UN secretary-general fielded questions Tuesday on global crises -- from climate change to Middle East conflict -- during the first-ever hearings to choose the world's top diplomat.

The United Nations opened the three days of public hearings in a packed chamber, breaking from the secrecy that has surrounded the choice of the UN chief throughout its 70-year history.

Three of the nine contenders made their pitch to the General Assembly's 193 nations, laying out their vision as the successor to Ban Ki-moon, who will hand over on January 1.

For decades, the choice of the UN chief has been firmly in the hands of the Security Council and its five permanent members -- Britain, France, China, Russia and the United States -- in a process largely kept behind closed doors.

But the General Assembly last year voted to shake up the process, asking candidates to send a formal application letter, present their resumes and appear at hearings.

The final decision to nominate a candidate still rests with the Security Council, but the new openness could put some pressure on big powers to pick a nominee with broader appeal.

"This is a potentially game-changing exercise," General Assembly president Mogens Lykketoft told reporters.

"If there is a critical mass of countries supporting one single candidate, I don't think we will see the Security Council coming up with quite a different name."

Montenegro's Foreign Minister Igor Luksic -- at 39, the youngest of the candidates -- was up first, switching from English to French in an address that touched on his Balkan roots and ways to improve the UN bureaucracy.

Bulgaria's Irina Bokova, who heads the UN cultural agency UNESCO, said the United Nations should do more to combat violence against women and stressed the importance of gender equality.

Seen as Moscow's preferred candidate, the 63-year-old ex-foreign minister is considered a strong contender in the race that could see the first woman chosen as secretary-general and the first eastern European.

Russia has said that the next UN chief should come from eastern Europe, the only region that has yet to be represented in the top post.

During the two-hour session, Bokova steered clear of controversy and sought to portray herself as a candidate of continuity ready to "serve" UN member-states.

On the Israeli-Palestinian peace process, Bokova said she would work to "build trust and confidence" between the parties but stressed that on many complex issues, she did not have "the magic bullet."

"You will see the new secretary-general serving you," Bokova said in her message to member-states.

- Too many meetings -

Former high commissioner for refugees Antonio Guterres spoke bluntly about the UN's shortcomings, calling for a more results-orientated work culture.

"Let's be clear: We have too many meetings, with too many people, discussing too many issues with too little decisions," said the former Portuguese prime minister.

Recalling his work as a young volunteer in the slums of Lisbon, the 66-year-old pledged to act as "a convener, a facilitator, a catalyst, an honest broker, a bridge-builder and an ambassador for peace."

The race to be UN secretary-general will pick up steam in July, when the Security Council begins the rounds of straw polls to measure support for the candidates.

Final polling is expected to take place in September, when the 15-member council will submit one nominee to the General Assembly, which is expected to endorse the choice.

Six more candidates will take part in hearings this week: Slovenia's former president Danilo Turk, the ex-foreign minister of Croatia Vesna Pusic and Natalia Gherman, the former foreign minister of Moldova.

The head of the UN Development Programme and New Zealand's former prime minister Helen Clark will speak on Thursday, as will Macedonia's former foreign minister Srgjan Kerim.

Serbia on Tuesday put forward former foreign minister Vuk Jeremic as a candidate and he will take part in hearings on Thursday.

More candidates are expected to come forward, including two women seen as potential frontrunners -- EU Commissioner Kristalina Georgieva of Bulgaria and Argentina's Foreign Minister Susana Malcorra.
SourcE: AFP

Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

un holds firstever hearings to pick worlds top diplomat un holds firstever hearings to pick worlds top diplomat

 



Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

un holds firstever hearings to pick worlds top diplomat un holds firstever hearings to pick worlds top diplomat

 



GMT 09:58 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon four

GMT 10:16 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon five

GMT 10:22 2018 Wednesday ,24 January

Kabul hotel guests describe lax security

GMT 15:25 2017 Monday ,18 December

Uber struggles to make inroads in Japan

GMT 16:21 2016 Friday ,26 August

Haifa Beseisso: A global citizen on a mission

GMT 15:36 2017 Thursday ,22 June

'Do good at Sunset' charity drive in Jumeirah

GMT 13:04 2017 Tuesday ,14 February

How sleep deprivation affect your work

GMT 22:36 2016 Wednesday ,06 January

Chipotle norovirus outbreak under US criminal probe

GMT 10:08 2018 Wednesday ,24 January

Microsoft to open 4 data centres

GMT 19:15 2018 Tuesday ,23 January

Emirati fined Dh2.2m for embezzling public funds

GMT 04:36 2018 Monday ,22 January

centre-left backs formal coalition talks

GMT 03:41 2016 Thursday ,30 June

UK banks 'well placed' to manage Brexit fallout

GMT 07:36 2017 Friday ,27 October

Federal National Council playing a sterling role
 
 Emirates Voice Facebook,emirates voice facebook  Emirates Voice Twitter,emirates voice twitter Emirates Voice Rss,emirates voice rss  Emirates Voice Youtube,emirates voice youtube  Emirates Voice Youtube,emirates voice youtube

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

emiratesvoieen emiratesvoiceen emiratesvoiceen emiratesvoiceen
emiratesvoice emiratesvoice emiratesvoice
emiratesvoice
بناية النخيل - رأس النبع _ خلف السفارة الفرنسية _بيروت - لبنان
emiratesvoice, Emiratesvoice, Emiratesvoice