
The United Nations is to send a 235-strong special force to Libya to protect U.N. staff because of increasing attacks in the country, officials said Wednesday. The U.N. Security Council has agreed a request by U.N. Secretary General Ban Ki-moon to send the force, China's U.N. ambassador Liu Jieyi said. Ban said in a letter to the council that U.N. staff are "at increased risk of attack" because of worsening tensions and "the lack of reliable national security forces." The force, probably to be taken from U.N. peacekeeping missions, would guard the U.N. base in Tripoli. "This would act as a deterrent against extremist elements who are not welcoming of foreign personnel," Ban commented. He added that the guards could also help evacuate the more than 200 staff in the U.N. Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL). The mission has been helping with a political transition in Libya after fall of dictator Moammar Gadhafi in October 2011. Foreign missions stepped up security after an attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi in September last year in which four people, including the U.S. ambassador, died. Militias and extremist groups have been battling for control and since the U.S. attack, the French and United Arab Emirates embassies in Tripoli have been bombed and other missions and diplomatic vehicles targeted. China's ambassador told reporters that as Security Council president for November he had sent a letter to Ban agreeing to the force.
GMT 01:03 2018 Wednesday ,24 January
Trump 'imitates' Modi's accent in private conversation: ReportGMT 21:24 2018 Tuesday ,23 January
Puigdemont accuses EU of not defending rights in CataloniaGMT 21:18 2018 Tuesday ,23 January
Vietnam oil exec 'kidnapped' from Germany jailed for lifeGMT 21:08 2018 Tuesday ,23 January
Turkey in new assault on Kurdish militiaGMT 21:04 2018 Tuesday ,23 January
Turkey detains 24 over 'terror propaganda'GMT 20:52 2018 Tuesday ,23 January
Dawoodi Bohra leader arrives in DubaiGMT 22:09 2018 Monday ,22 January
Israel apologises to JordanGMT 16:11 2018 Sunday ,21 January
Pope condemns criminals in crime-stricken Peruvian city

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Send your comments
Your comment as a visitor