us charges suspect over chinese consulate arson attack
Last Updated : GMT 05:17:37
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
Last Updated : GMT 05:17:37
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice

US charges suspect over Chinese consulate arson attack

Emiratesvoice, emirates voice

Emiratesvoice, emirates voice US charges suspect over Chinese consulate arson attack

San Francisco - AFP

US investigators have arrested a Chinese-born man over an arson attack on China's consulate in San Francisco which triggered strong protest from Beijing, officials and reports said Monday. Yan Feng, 39, who lives south of the city, surrendered to police on Friday and has been charged with criminal offenses including causing damage to a diplomatic mission, said the Federal Bureau of Investigation. According to an affidavit, he "detonated incendiary or explosive devices in the vicinity of the front entrance of the Chinese Consulate in San Francisco on January 1, causing significant property damage," said an FBI statement. The Chinese native, who is a permanent U.S. resident, told federal agents that he was driven not by politics but by "voices he had been hearing," according to the San Francisco Chronicle. He called police two days after the New Year's Day blaze, which seriously damaged the consulate's entrance, and said via a Mandarin-language interpreter that he had "made the fire," it said. The attack, which came on the 35th anniversary of the establishment of diplomatic ties between Washington and Beijing, was condemned by the consulate as a "despicable act" and is under police investigation. David J. Johnson, head of the FBI's San Francisco office, said "we're looking at it, and we have looked at this, purely as a criminal matter," according to the San Francisco Chronicle. The consulate was targeted in a similar arson attack in March 2008, according to a US media report. A Chinese state-run newspaper last week accused the U.S. of a "security failure" and reproached the American government for failing to provide protection for Chinese diplomatic personnel. The Global Times, which is close to China's ruling Communist Party, called for "severe punishment" of the offenders. The U.S. State Department said shortly after the attack came to light that it was "deeply concerned" by the incident, and vowed to help police and the FBI to find the perpetrators. The arrested suspect was charged with maliciously damaging or attempting to damage a diplomatic building by fire or explosive, the FBI said, noting that "a criminal complaint contains only allegations against an individual. "As with all defendants, Feng must be presumed innocent unless and until proven guilty," it said.

Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

us charges suspect over chinese consulate arson attack us charges suspect over chinese consulate arson attack

 



Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

us charges suspect over chinese consulate arson attack us charges suspect over chinese consulate arson attack

 



GMT 10:18 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon eight

GMT 10:21 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon eleven

GMT 10:18 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon seven

GMT 09:58 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon four

GMT 01:08 2017 Sunday ,08 October

Hawaii gets chance to make case for fighting

GMT 08:13 2017 Wednesday ,10 May

UAE Ambassador to UK, Minister discuss relations

GMT 07:16 2018 Thursday ,18 January

Macron's tapestry gesture risks rousing

GMT 12:04 2017 Sunday ,17 December

US plans Middle East peace push after 'cooling off'

GMT 02:38 2017 Tuesday ,25 July

Bahrain Parents Care Society launches programme

GMT 06:47 2016 Sunday ,15 May

2 journalists shot dead in 24 hours in India

GMT 03:40 2017 Thursday ,27 July

Jordan dealt with embassy’s crime in accordance

GMT 10:21 2012 Thursday ,01 March

Small Spaced Garden Tips

GMT 08:30 2016 Sunday ,10 April

War photographer and mother, the woman

GMT 23:31 2017 Saturday ,24 June

Israeli forces push deep
 
 Emirates Voice Facebook,emirates voice facebook  Emirates Voice Twitter,emirates voice twitter Emirates Voice Rss,emirates voice rss  Emirates Voice Youtube,emirates voice youtube  Emirates Voice Youtube,emirates voice youtube

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

emiratesvoieen emiratesvoiceen emiratesvoiceen emiratesvoiceen
emiratesvoice emiratesvoice emiratesvoice
emiratesvoice
بناية النخيل - رأس النبع _ خلف السفارة الفرنسية _بيروت - لبنان
emiratesvoice, Emiratesvoice, Emiratesvoice