A senior Obama administration official has confirmed that Anwar al-Awlaki, the U.S.-born radical cleric, was killed in Yemen, media reports said here on Friday. The official confirmed that al-Awlaki was killed in an attack on his convoy by a U.S. drone and jet fighter, according to the media reports. The attack was carried out by the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) and the U.S. Joint Special Operations Command, in which the CIA provided the intelligence and the latter provided the firepower, said the reports. The 40-year al-Awlaki, born in the U.S. state of New Mexico to a pair of Yemeni parents, was accused of \"inspiring\" the killings of 13 people in a U.S. military base in Texas in November 2009, as well as the attempted bombing of a Detroit-bound airliner in December 2009. Yemen\'s Defense Ministry said earlier in the day that al-Awlaki was killed in an air raid in the southeast of the country. U.S. President Barack Obama was expected to speak about the killing of al-Awlaki at around 11 am Eastern Standard Time (GMT 1600), reports said on Friday.
GMT 01:03 2018 Wednesday ,24 January
Trump 'imitates' Modi's accent in private conversation: ReportGMT 21:24 2018 Tuesday ,23 January
Puigdemont accuses EU of not defending rights in CataloniaGMT 21:18 2018 Tuesday ,23 January
Vietnam oil exec 'kidnapped' from Germany jailed for lifeGMT 21:08 2018 Tuesday ,23 January
Turkey in new assault on Kurdish militiaGMT 21:04 2018 Tuesday ,23 January
Turkey detains 24 over 'terror propaganda'GMT 20:52 2018 Tuesday ,23 January
Dawoodi Bohra leader arrives in DubaiGMT 22:09 2018 Monday ,22 January
Israel apologises to JordanGMT 16:11 2018 Sunday ,21 January
Pope condemns criminals in crime-stricken Peruvian city

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Send your comments
Your comment as a visitor