uss cole guantanamo tribunal for yemen bombing suspect
Last Updated : GMT 05:17:37
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
Last Updated : GMT 05:17:37
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice

USS Cole: Guantanamo tribunal for Yemen bombing suspect

Emiratesvoice, emirates voice

Emiratesvoice, emirates voice USS Cole: Guantanamo tribunal for Yemen bombing suspect

Aden - Arabstoday

The prime suspect in the 2000 bombing of the USS Cole will face a military tribunal in Guantanamo Bay, US defence officials have said. Abd al-Nashiri, a Saudi of Yemeni descent, could face the death penalty if he is convicted. The ruling, issued by the US Department of Defense, means the US must bring him before a military judge within 30 days. At least 17 sailors were killed and 40 were wounded in the attack in Aden on 12 October 2000. Barring a late plea, the tribunal will be the first death penalty case at the base under US President Barack Obama, who had previously pledged to close Guantanamo. The charges against Mr Nashiri allege he was head of \"planning and preparation\" for the attack on USS Cole, during which two suicide bombers rammed an explosives-laden boat into the guided missile destroyer, blowing a vast hole into its side. Other charges against him include murder, attempted murder, conspiracy, terrorism and using treachery or perfidy. Mr Nashiri is also accused of plotting an attempted strike on USS The Sullivans in the same port in January of the same year. And the US also accuses him of planning an attack on a French oil tanker MV Limburg in the Gulf of Aden in 2002. One crew member died in the oil tanker attack, which caused a spill of some 90,000 barrels of oil. Mr Nashiri is one of three detainees the CIA has admitted to waterboarding, a simulated drowning technique that has been widely condemned as torture by foreign governments and human rights organisations. At a closed hearing in 2007, the suspect said that he had confessed to the USS Cole bombing because he had been tortured by his interrogators. According to documents released in 2009, the Saudi national underwent waterboarding dozens of times. His lawyers have argued that he should not face execution because of the treatment he faced while in detention. \"We think there were a lot of compelling reasons to say it shouldn\'t be a death penalty case but we\'re not surprised at all,\" said one of his lawyers, Rick Kammen. But the Pentagon official overseeing the process has ruled that, if found guilty, the defendant can face execution.

Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

uss cole guantanamo tribunal for yemen bombing suspect uss cole guantanamo tribunal for yemen bombing suspect

 



Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

uss cole guantanamo tribunal for yemen bombing suspect uss cole guantanamo tribunal for yemen bombing suspect

 



GMT 09:58 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon four

GMT 10:16 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon five

GMT 10:22 2018 Wednesday ,24 January

Kabul hotel guests describe lax security

GMT 15:25 2017 Monday ,18 December

Uber struggles to make inroads in Japan

GMT 16:21 2016 Friday ,26 August

Haifa Beseisso: A global citizen on a mission

GMT 15:36 2017 Thursday ,22 June

'Do good at Sunset' charity drive in Jumeirah

GMT 13:04 2017 Tuesday ,14 February

How sleep deprivation affect your work

GMT 22:36 2016 Wednesday ,06 January

Chipotle norovirus outbreak under US criminal probe

GMT 10:08 2018 Wednesday ,24 January

Microsoft to open 4 data centres

GMT 19:15 2018 Tuesday ,23 January

Emirati fined Dh2.2m for embezzling public funds

GMT 04:36 2018 Monday ,22 January

centre-left backs formal coalition talks

GMT 03:41 2016 Thursday ,30 June

UK banks 'well placed' to manage Brexit fallout

GMT 07:36 2017 Friday ,27 October

Federal National Council playing a sterling role
 
 Emirates Voice Facebook,emirates voice facebook  Emirates Voice Twitter,emirates voice twitter Emirates Voice Rss,emirates voice rss  Emirates Voice Youtube,emirates voice youtube  Emirates Voice Youtube,emirates voice youtube

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

emiratesvoieen emiratesvoiceen emiratesvoiceen emiratesvoiceen
emiratesvoice emiratesvoice emiratesvoice
emiratesvoice
بناية النخيل - رأس النبع _ خلف السفارة الفرنسية _بيروت - لبنان
emiratesvoice, Emiratesvoice, Emiratesvoice