rebels celebrate as civilians await food in debaltseve
Last Updated : GMT 05:17:37
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
Last Updated : GMT 05:17:37
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice

Rebels celebrate as civilians await food in Debaltseve

Emiratesvoice, emirates voice

Emiratesvoice, emirates voice Rebels celebrate as civilians await food in Debaltseve

Pro-Russian seperatist walks past a destroyed tank
Debaltseve - AFP

Burnt-out armoured vehicles and crater-pocked plazas serve as grim reminders of the fierce battle for Debaltseve that ended with Ukrainian forces abandoning the strategic rail hub to pro-Russian troops this week.  
In the centre of the largely empty town the tail of an unexploded rocket stuck out of a road and homes were riddled with gaping holes after the fierce mortar fire.
Nearby, most of the windows were blown out of buildings and the top floor of a five-storey apartment block was completely torn off by shelling.
Triumphant rebel fighters congratulated each other in the street and posed for pictures in front of the Ukrainian weapons they captured.
"The first days were the most difficult when we arrived in the town," said insurgent Sasha, showing off a Ukrainian army bulletproof jacket he had looted.
"It was street fighting with automatic rifles. We had some dead and many wounded."
A ceasefire brokered by France and Germany was signed last week in the Belarussian capital Minsk, but quickly collapsed as fighting raged on between Ukrainian government and separatist forces.
- Civilians targeted -
As the ferocious violence has subsided, civilians who had spent days hiding in basements without water and electricity began to emerge.
"It was terrible, terrible," repeated Natalia Datskaya, 54.
"Some days they were shelling all the time, non-stop. One time the bombardments started at 3 am and lasted all the way to midnight."
Before the fighting, Debaltseve -- sandwiched between the rebel-held cities of Donetsk and Lugansk -- had a population of around 25,000 but rights groups said it has shrunk to about 5,000.
Speaking as she waited for bread in front of a railway building, Tatiana Reshetova said civilians were deliberately targeted.
"They bombarded the districts of the town one by one to make the inhabitants flee," said Reshetova, 60.
Inside the imposing building about 20 haggard and hungry women fumed at the outside world for doing nothing to stop the fighting.
"You didn't do anything to defend us," said one women bitterly of the West.
Many of those who survived the battle of Debaltseve have little left.
"My house is destroyed and so my son's," says Vasily, 60. "Look at where we live now!"
For the Ukrainian army the defeat in Debaltseve was a bitter blow.
Ukraine's President Petro Poroshenko claimed the withdrawal after weeks of fierce fighting was pre-planned and orderly.
But Kiev admits at least 13 troops died during the retreat, while 110 were captured by the separatists and 31 are still missing.
Soldiers who fled the town told AFP they had not been ordered to pull out and only realised the army was leaving when the heavy armour started moving out.
Outspoken pro-Kiev volunteer battalion commander and Ukrainian lawmaker Semen Semenchenko, who was not in Debaltseve, has blasted the country's military leadership.
"They are lying to you about the number of dead. They are lying to you about the number of injured. They are lying to you about the real level of command and coordination in the army," he wrote to his followers on Facebook Thursday.

 

Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

rebels celebrate as civilians await food in debaltseve rebels celebrate as civilians await food in debaltseve

 



Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

rebels celebrate as civilians await food in debaltseve rebels celebrate as civilians await food in debaltseve

 



GMT 10:18 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon seven

GMT 09:58 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon four

GMT 10:16 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon five

GMT 16:17 2018 Thursday ,30 August

Five Saudi women pilots granted GACA licences

GMT 10:18 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon eight

GMT 21:36 2017 Thursday ,04 May

College Celebrates Graduation of 43 Officers

GMT 11:51 2017 Monday ,13 November

Aid enters devastated rebel town near Syria capital

GMT 13:11 2017 Wednesday ,27 September

NASA-led project to build the first lunar space station

GMT 07:10 2017 Monday ,08 May

UAE in universal mission to reduce suffering

GMT 03:02 2017 Wednesday ,08 February

Daesh damaging Mosul houses to demand repair fee
 
 Emirates Voice Facebook,emirates voice facebook  Emirates Voice Twitter,emirates voice twitter Emirates Voice Rss,emirates voice rss  Emirates Voice Youtube,emirates voice youtube  Emirates Voice Youtube,emirates voice youtube

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

emiratesvoieen emiratesvoiceen emiratesvoiceen emiratesvoiceen
emiratesvoice emiratesvoice emiratesvoice
emiratesvoice
بناية النخيل - رأس النبع _ خلف السفارة الفرنسية _بيروت - لبنان
emiratesvoice, Emiratesvoice, Emiratesvoice