building safety questioned in fresh turkey quake
Last Updated : GMT 05:17:37
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
Last Updated : GMT 05:17:37
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice

Building safety questioned in fresh Turkey quake

Emiratesvoice, emirates voice

Emiratesvoice, emirates voice Building safety questioned in fresh Turkey quake

Ankara - AFP

Questions arose Friday over building safety after a fresh earthquake in eastern Turkey claimed at least 22 lives, less than three weeks after hundreds died in a massive quake in the same region. More than two dozen buildings collapsed in Wednesday\'s quake, including the Bayram Hotel in the city of Van where 10 people were crushed to death. The hotel\'s owner Aslan Bayram said through the media that experts had examined his property after the October quake and given it the all-clear. But Turkish newspaper photos of the inside of the hotel after the earlier quake showed deep cracks on the walls. The leading Turkish daily Hurriyet said \"no official inspection\" had been carried out at the hotel. The Radikal asked in a banner headline: \"Who gave the all-clear?\" \"Death, blatantly\" said the daily Cumhuriyet, running a photo of the collapsed hotel on its front page. On Friday, Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan said his government would start a \"legal process\" against those who gave the all-clear reports on the damaged buildings. \"We do not know everything. We employ those people who are specialised. We are in a situation to abide by their reports,\" said Erdogan. He repeated calls to citizens from the quake region not to enter the damaged buildings. \"Please do not enter damaged buildings and even do not approach them. Aftershocks are still continuing,\" warned Erdogan. Opposition politicians heaped criticism on Turkish authorities, already slammed for a sluggish response to the October 23 quake which killed more than 600 people. \"Seventeen days have passed since the (October) quake. It is a very big mistake that no official damage assessment has been done since then,\" deputy leader of the pro-Kurdish Peace and Democracy Party Gulten Kisanak was quoted as saying. But Huseyin Celik of the ruling Justice and Development Party said in televised remarks: \"I\'m not an expert, but the preliminary damage assessment is not a quake resistance test.\" Carrying out such tests on all buildings in Van, Celik\'s hometown, would take months, he said, noting that it is a city of around one million people. Officials meanwhile raised the death toll to 22, including Japanese humanitarian worker Atsushi Miyazaki, according to the prime minister\'s disaster and emergency management centre. Television footage showed rescue workers hunting for survivors under the rubble. \"We will complete search and rescue work by tomorrow,\" one worker told the private NTV television. Rescue teams were also searching for two journalists from the Dogan News Agency in the rubble of the collapsed Bayram Hotel, where many journalists and aid workers were staying. It was not clear how many people remained trapped under the rubble. Turkey made an appeal to the international community for tents and prefabricated houses for quake victims, reported the Anatolia news agency. The epicentre of Wednesday\'s quake was in Edremit district, some 15 kilometres (nine miles) from Van province, according to the Istanbul-based Kandilli Observatory. The US Geological Survey said the epicentre was 16 kilometres south of Van, with its depth given as five kilometres. The USGS put the magnitude at 5.6, after having earlier put it at 5.7. Turkey is crossed by several fault lines. In 1999, two strong quakes in heavily populated and industrialised parts of northwest Turkey left some 20,000 people dead.  

Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

building safety questioned in fresh turkey quake building safety questioned in fresh turkey quake

 



Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

building safety questioned in fresh turkey quake building safety questioned in fresh turkey quake

 



GMT 10:18 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon seven

GMT 09:58 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon four

GMT 10:16 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon five

GMT 05:14 2024 Wednesday ,07 February

Sophisticated Classic Dining Room Design Ideas

GMT 05:17 2024 Wednesday ,07 February

Amazon to open first cashierless shop

GMT 13:32 2016 Monday ,17 October

Turkey to take part in Mosul operation

GMT 08:22 2017 Sunday ,10 September

King of cool vs. king of bling

GMT 07:06 2017 Wednesday ,10 May

UAE artistic scene enhanced due

GMT 07:23 2016 Thursday ,19 May

New museum will 'preserve Palestinian memory'

GMT 12:02 2015 Tuesday ,29 September

Climate goal closer as UN pressure builds

GMT 10:06 2017 Thursday ,26 October

Passengers face new security interviews
 
 Emirates Voice Facebook,emirates voice facebook  Emirates Voice Twitter,emirates voice twitter Emirates Voice Rss,emirates voice rss  Emirates Voice Youtube,emirates voice youtube  Emirates Voice Youtube,emirates voice youtube

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

emiratesvoieen emiratesvoiceen emiratesvoiceen emiratesvoiceen
emiratesvoice emiratesvoice emiratesvoice
emiratesvoice
بناية النخيل - رأس النبع _ خلف السفارة الفرنسية _بيروت - لبنان
emiratesvoice, Emiratesvoice, Emiratesvoice