el salvador apologizes 30 years after massacre
Last Updated : GMT 05:17:37
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
Last Updated : GMT 05:17:37
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice

El Salvador apologizes 30 years after massacre

Emiratesvoice, emirates voice

Emiratesvoice, emirates voice El Salvador apologizes 30 years after massacre

San Salvador - AFP

El Salvador's government asked for "forgiveness" Saturday over a civil war-era massacre in 1981 in which soldiers executed more than 1,000 people, nearly half of them children. Sunday marks the 30th anniversary of the slaughter at the small northeastern village of El Mozote, where troops rounded up men, women and children, accused many of collaborating with leftist guerrillas, and killed them in cold blood. It was among the worst massacres in the country's bloody 1980-1992 civil war, which still casts a shadow over the Central American nation. "I would like to take this opportunity to reiterate on behalf of the government of El Salvador our request for forgiveness to the thousands of innocent victims, but especially the victims of the massacre at El Mozote," Foreign Minister Hugo Martinez said during a ceremony at the town. Martinez noted that Salvadoran President Mauricio Funes -- the country's first democratically-elected leftist president since the civil war -- had already apologized for other violent incidents attributed to the army, state security forces and paramilitary groups. "This event seeks to honor the memory of hundreds of innocent people who were murdered 30 years ago here in El Mozote and in other nearby hamlets," he said. According to Martinez, "the blindness of state violence also took away innocent lives" in nearby towns La Joya, Rancheria and Los Toriles, and it was important that the government adopt a position "that recognizes the rights of victims and does not evade responsibility of the State." The December 11-13, 1981 killings at El Mozote were committed by troops of the now-banned Atlacatl Battalion of the Army. Their crimes, including torture and rape, left the international community appalled. A truth commission created by the United Nations blamed a number of military officials, some of whom were killed in the civil war. UN officials were present at Saturday's ceremony in El Mozote. Activists say they are still waiting for justice, and they hope their case will be taken up by the Inter-American Court of Human Rights based in Costa Rica. Funes, whose leftist Farabundo Marti National Liberation Front (FMLN) defeated the ruling right-wing party in 2009, has sought to sweep away the demons of El Salvador's past stemming from its 12-year civil war. The FMLN is the former coalition of Marxist guerrillas that battled the government during the war, during which 75,000 people were killed and another 7,000 went missing.      

Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

el salvador apologizes 30 years after massacre el salvador apologizes 30 years after massacre

 



Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

el salvador apologizes 30 years after massacre el salvador apologizes 30 years after massacre

 



GMT 09:58 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon four

GMT 10:16 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon five

GMT 11:03 2018 Tuesday ,23 January

No end to eyesores at Taj Mahal

GMT 07:40 2018 Monday ,15 January

C&A fashion chain eyes sale to Chinese investors

GMT 10:30 2017 Thursday ,02 November

Britain’s Aston Martin is performing

GMT 11:30 2017 Saturday ,02 September

Chinese Vice-Premier leaves the Country

GMT 00:48 2011 Thursday ,06 October

Modern fairy tale unfolds in London

GMT 09:30 2017 Thursday ,21 September

21 ISIS militant were killed in suicide attack in Hama

GMT 23:45 2018 Tuesday ,23 January

Europe in the pink of health, feels Bjorn

GMT 13:16 2018 Friday ,19 January

Rafael Nadal into fourth round of Australian Open

GMT 18:10 2016 Monday ,31 October

PTI supporters planned to occupy secretariat

GMT 07:08 2017 Thursday ,21 December

Blinded in one eye, Syrian baby becomes symbol of siege

GMT 12:01 2017 Sunday ,17 December

S.Africa's troubled ANC meets to elect new leader

GMT 19:26 2013 Friday ,29 November

Bosch plans 110 car service centres in GCC

GMT 12:51 2017 Monday ,08 May

1 in 8 road deaths is a child in Oman

GMT 01:23 2017 Sunday ,28 May

RAK's tourism sector on a roll

GMT 17:20 2011 Thursday ,11 August

Moroccans flying EA increase
 
 Emirates Voice Facebook,emirates voice facebook  Emirates Voice Twitter,emirates voice twitter Emirates Voice Rss,emirates voice rss  Emirates Voice Youtube,emirates voice youtube  Emirates Voice Youtube,emirates voice youtube

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

emiratesvoieen emiratesvoiceen emiratesvoiceen emiratesvoiceen
emiratesvoice emiratesvoice emiratesvoice
emiratesvoice
بناية النخيل - رأس النبع _ خلف السفارة الفرنسية _بيروت - لبنان
emiratesvoice, Emiratesvoice, Emiratesvoice