Belarus\' sports-mad President Alexander Lukashenko will not be able to attend the London Olympics because of EU sanctions against his regime, the British embassy in Minsk said Wednesday. In January 2011, the European Union reinstated a travel ban against Lukashenko after the government launched an opposition crackdown in the wake of disputed elections. The Belarussian leader, an avid sportsman who also heads the country\'s National Olympic Committee, \"is on the list of persons denied entry into the EU,\" British embassy spokeswoman Inna Romashevskaya told AFP. \"This ban remains in effect and will be working during the Olympic Games. This decision will not be changed,\" she said two days before Friday\'s opening ceremony in London. The EU sanctions against Belarus were imposed after a crackdown on Lukashenko\'s political opposition following controversial elections in December 2010, which resulted in many opposition leaders being convicted and jailed. The ban on EU entry currently extends to almost 250 people in the government and court system. Dozens of Belarussian companies also face sanctions on doing business with Europe. Lukashenko, who has been in power since the early 1990s, previously visited the Olympic Games in Beijing in 2008 and Nagano in 1998. His press service declined to comment on his inability to travel to Britain. Belarus excels in sports at the Olympics and has some world-class performers among its team of 172. Veteran female single-sculler Ekaterina Karsten and tennis number one Victoria Azarenka are among its top gold medal candidates. Earlier this month Lukashenko wished good luck to the Olympians, saying he only expects the best: \"There can only be victory. The main thing is winning, not participating.\" The strongman leader is known to especially enjoy ice hockey but also plays football and tennis and is regularly seen on cross-country skis in the winter.
GMT 22:55 2018 Tuesday ,23 January
Manchester United retain world's richest club statusGMT 05:19 2018 Saturday ,20 January
Man City midfielder Fernandinho signs contract extension to 2020GMT 13:46 2018 Friday ,19 January
Borussia Dortmund deny contact with Arsenal for Pierre-Emerick AubameyangGMT 13:38 2018 Thursday ,18 January
Chelsea edge into FA Cup fourth round, Bournemouth rockedGMT 10:38 2018 Thursday ,18 January
Arsenal 'target' Malcom faces rap over videoGMT 07:49 2018 Tuesday ,16 January
Football: Giggs set to be named as Wales bossGMT 07:08 2018 Monday ,15 January
Sevilla let Real off hook with Alaves defeatGMT 07:02 2018 Saturday ,13 January
Everton in talks to sign Arsenal's Walcott

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Send your comments
Your comment as a visitor