australia football chiefs vow to review fan ban amid boycott threat
Last Updated : GMT 05:17:37
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
Last Updated : GMT 05:17:37
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice

Australia football chiefs vow to review fan ban amid boycott threat

Emiratesvoice, emirates voice

Emiratesvoice, emirates voice Australia football chiefs vow to review fan ban amid boycott threat

A-League teams' supporters have long held reservations over FFA's security policy
Sydney - Arab Today

Australian football chiefs on Thursday said they would review the A-League's banned fans policy in a desperate bid to make peace and avoid a damaging boycott of games by supporters this weekend.

But they also reaffirmed a zero tolerance stance towards anti-social behaviour.

Football Federation Australia is facing a fan revolt amid fury over the publication of a confidential list of supporters banned from stadiums around the country.

Anger over a perceived privacy breach flared when Sydney's Daily Telegraph last week published names and photos of 198 banned A-League fans, labelling some as "louts" while lashing out at spectator conduct.

The discontent quickly morphed into a backlash against FFA with supporters condemning its failure to defend fans over what it saw as biased media coverage, and for being out of touch with grassroots supporters of the game.

Fans at some of the league's best-supported clubs have vowed to boycott weekend games in protest until the FFA presents a transparent ban appeals process agreed upon by all parties.

Supporters have long held reservations over FFA's security policy, which provides banned spectators with no avenue for appeal. Several of those on the leaked list feel they have been wrongly banned.
"(FFA chief) David Gallop will tell the board we intend to review the ban process. We expect to be able to finalise it by next board meeting in February," FFA chairman Stephen Lowy told a press conference.

"The publication of the banned list was a travesty," he added, while also adopting a defiant tone on hooligans: "FFA is resolute on the issue of crowd behaviour. Zero tolerance is our policy. That won't change."

Fans on the list have been banned for offences including assaults, ignition of flares, invading the pitch or throwing projectiles.

Gallop has borne the brunt of the criticism, with Sydney FC coach Graham Arnold making clear on Wednesday the game could not survive without fans and the FFA must do more to appease them.

"We don't take the fans' position in the game for granted. We'll get their views on the banning process, and what else concerns them," Gallop said Thursday, while admitting he "got it wrong" in failing to immediately condemn The Telegraph reporting.

But he added: "People will take shots at us. People will be inflammatory. But that shouldn't stop us on the journey we are on."

There was no immediate reaction from fan groups on whether their boycott threats would go ahead.

They demanded on Wednesday a transparent and documented process for banning fans with defined standards of evidence, a fair appeals process and a thorough explanation of the role security company Hatamoto plays in fan management.
Source: AFP

Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

australia football chiefs vow to review fan ban amid boycott threat australia football chiefs vow to review fan ban amid boycott threat

 



Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

australia football chiefs vow to review fan ban amid boycott threat australia football chiefs vow to review fan ban amid boycott threat

 



GMT 10:18 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon seven

GMT 09:58 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon four

GMT 10:16 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon five

GMT 06:15 2018 Tuesday ,23 January

Volkswagen clinches record sales

GMT 09:54 2018 Wednesday ,24 January

'Friendly and kind' N. Korean skaters

GMT 10:18 2018 Thursday ,30 August

Iran incapable of closing Hormuz, Bab Al Mandeb

GMT 11:38 2017 Tuesday ,14 November

Barrett gets shot at World Rugby award double

GMT 22:28 2011 Thursday ,10 February

The intermingling of the domestic and the foreign

GMT 06:38 2017 Monday ,21 August

First eclipse in 99 years to sweep North America

GMT 06:59 2017 Saturday ,13 May

King's support at Windsor

GMT 08:12 2017 Sunday ,19 November

EU-Mercosur free-trade pact supporters push for deal

GMT 08:23 2012 Saturday ,18 February

Pop star Katy Perry will donate

GMT 05:11 2013 Sunday ,29 December

Lea Michele to release solo album

GMT 07:02 2011 Sunday ,07 August

Canadian dollar falls on slowing global economy

GMT 06:42 2011 Sunday ,03 July

China\'s service activity cools in June

GMT 10:38 2011 Tuesday ,13 December

Kingdom\'s GDP to grow 5.1% in 2011
 
 Emirates Voice Facebook,emirates voice facebook  Emirates Voice Twitter,emirates voice twitter Emirates Voice Rss,emirates voice rss  Emirates Voice Youtube,emirates voice youtube  Emirates Voice Youtube,emirates voice youtube

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

emiratesvoieen emiratesvoiceen emiratesvoiceen emiratesvoiceen
emiratesvoice emiratesvoice emiratesvoice
emiratesvoice
بناية النخيل - رأس النبع _ خلف السفارة الفرنسية _بيروت - لبنان
emiratesvoice, Emiratesvoice, Emiratesvoice