hewitt loses australian men blanked at wimbledon
Last Updated : GMT 05:17:37
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
Last Updated : GMT 05:17:37
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice

Hewitt loses, Australian men blanked at Wimbledon

Emiratesvoice, emirates voice

Emiratesvoice, emirates voice Hewitt loses, Australian men blanked at Wimbledon

Wimbledon - Arabstoday

Australian men once dominated Wimbledon. This year they failed to win a match. Aussies went 0 for 4, including a loss Tuesday by 2002 champion Lleyton Hewitt. That means no Australian man in the second round, the first time that has happened since 1938. During a 12-year span from 1960 to 1971, Australians won the Wimbledon men\'s title 10 times. But in recent years they\'ve experienced a decline similar to the United States, with South Americans, Eastern Europeans and Asians increasingly competitive as tennis becomes more global. Hewitt\'s 14th Wimbledon appearance was brief. He needed a wild card to enter the tournament and lost to No. 5-seeded Jo-Wilfried Tsonga (5) 6-3, 6-4, 6-4. Aussies Bernard Tomic and Matthew Ebden also lost Tuesday. \"The boys didn\'t have the best day,\" Hewitt said. Tomic, who reached the quarterfinals last year as an 18-year-old qualifier, lost to Belgian wild card David Goffin. Ebden was beaten by Benoit Paire. Another Australian, Marinko Matosevic, lost to Xavier Malisse on Monday. Hewitt said tough draws were partly to blame for the shutout. \"The three guys that played today, I know we could have beat a lot of guys that are still going in the tournament,\" he said. \"That\'s just how it falls.\" Hewitt drew an especially difficult opening opponent. The loss was his first in the first round at Wimbledon since 2003, but despite losing in straight sets, he found little fault with his performance. \"I didn\'t do a lot wrong really,\" he said. \"Probably as good as I could have done today, really.\" Hewitt\'s victory at Wimbledon was the most recent major title by an Australian man. Now 31, he has been plagued lately by injuries, most recently a foot ailment that required surgery in March 2011. He\'s just 4-6 in Grand Slam matches since August 2010, and the former No. 1 is ranked 202nd. He plans to be back at Wimbledon next month playing as a wild card in the Olympics, and hopes to return to Wimbledon in 2013. \"At the moment I\'ve been focusing on getting back this year, doing everything right with my foot and rehab to get back to here,\" Hewitt said. \"I\'m proud of myself of what I\'ve been able to do, all the hard work it has taken to get here. I\'d like to be back here, absolutely, but we\'ll have to wait and see.\" The winner of 555 matches in his career, Hewitt is only lately becoming accustomed to early exits at tournaments. He\'s still not used to the experience. \"It\'s like missing the cut at any golf tournament,\" Hewitt said. \"I can only go out there and do what I could do out there today. I didn\'t get handed the best draw. I\'m sure there are a lot of guys in the tournament that I probably could have got through today.\" Hewitt was overpowered by Tsonga, a big hitter who beat six-time champion Roger Federer last year to reach the semifinals. Tsonga totaled 61 winners to 12 for Hewitt. Petra Kvitova opened her bid for a second successive Wimbledon title by overcoming a shaky start to beat Akgul Amanmuradova 6-4, 6-4. Kvitova fell behind 4-1, then swept seven consecutive games to take charge. \"I was nervous,\" she said. \"It was first time for me to be as the defending champion of a Grand Slam. You know, it was huge honor to come to Centre Court. Of course I would like to make everyone happy, but it\'s not that easy. It was lot of firsts for me today, but I\'m happy that I stayed calm inside and did not panic on the important points.\" No. 2-seeded Victoria Azarenka, the Australian Open champion, beat Irina Falconi 6-1, 6-4, and four-time Wimbledon champion Serena Williams defeated Barbora Zahlavova Strycova 6-2, 6-4. In men\'s play on Centre Court, two-time champion Rafael Nadal lost the first four games but rebounded to beat fellow left-hander Thomaz Bellucci 7-6 (0), 6-2, 6-3. \"I\'m very happy to be back on the best court in the world and winning,\" Nadal said. \"It\'s fantastic for me, but I have to improve a lot for the next round.\" Twelve matches were suspended because of rain. Three-time finalist Andy Roddick led Jamie Baker 7-6 (1), 4-2 when their match was halted. Sara Errani, runner-up this month at the French Open, held match point in the second set against American qualifier Coco Vandeweghe when play stopped.

Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

hewitt loses australian men blanked at wimbledon hewitt loses australian men blanked at wimbledon

 



Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

hewitt loses australian men blanked at wimbledon hewitt loses australian men blanked at wimbledon

 



GMT 10:18 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon seven

GMT 09:58 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon four

GMT 10:16 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon five

GMT 06:15 2018 Tuesday ,23 January

Volkswagen clinches record sales

GMT 09:54 2018 Wednesday ,24 January

'Friendly and kind' N. Korean skaters

GMT 10:18 2018 Thursday ,30 August

Iran incapable of closing Hormuz, Bab Al Mandeb

GMT 11:38 2017 Tuesday ,14 November

Barrett gets shot at World Rugby award double

GMT 22:28 2011 Thursday ,10 February

The intermingling of the domestic and the foreign

GMT 06:38 2017 Monday ,21 August

First eclipse in 99 years to sweep North America

GMT 06:59 2017 Saturday ,13 May

King's support at Windsor

GMT 08:12 2017 Sunday ,19 November

EU-Mercosur free-trade pact supporters push for deal

GMT 08:23 2012 Saturday ,18 February

Pop star Katy Perry will donate

GMT 05:11 2013 Sunday ,29 December

Lea Michele to release solo album

GMT 07:02 2011 Sunday ,07 August

Canadian dollar falls on slowing global economy

GMT 06:42 2011 Sunday ,03 July

China\'s service activity cools in June

GMT 10:38 2011 Tuesday ,13 December

Kingdom\'s GDP to grow 5.1% in 2011
 
 Emirates Voice Facebook,emirates voice facebook  Emirates Voice Twitter,emirates voice twitter Emirates Voice Rss,emirates voice rss  Emirates Voice Youtube,emirates voice youtube  Emirates Voice Youtube,emirates voice youtube

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

emiratesvoieen emiratesvoiceen emiratesvoiceen emiratesvoiceen
emiratesvoice emiratesvoice emiratesvoice
emiratesvoice
بناية النخيل - رأس النبع _ خلف السفارة الفرنسية _بيروت - لبنان
emiratesvoice, Emiratesvoice, Emiratesvoice