
South Korea expressed regret Friday over North Korea's "unilateral" withdrawal of its proposal to send cheerleaders to accompany its athletes at next month's Asian Games.
"We feel very regretful over North Korea's unilateral announcement," Unification Ministry spokesman Lim Byeong-Cheol told reporters.
He said Seoul would not send an official request again for the dispatch of North Korean cheerleaders.
"There is no change in our basic position that we will welcome North Korean cheerleaders... but we will respect their decision," he said.
Lim refuted accusations by Son Kwang-Ho, vice head of the North's Olympic Committee, that Seoul was not happy with the dispatch of North Korean cheerleaders.
"As the south side is displeased with the dispatch of our cheerleading squad, we decided not to send it to the 17th Asian Games," Son said late Tuesday in a statement carried by the North's official Korean Central News Agency.
Son accused Seoul of treating North Korean cheerleaders as a political propaganda tool aimed at creating discord in the South.
But he did not retract the North's plan to dispatch athletes and sports officials to the September 19-October 4 Games, Asia's biggest sporting event, in the South's western port of Incheon.
Initially North Korea had planned to send 350 cheerleaders to Incheon.
But Pyongyang officials walked out of a meeting last month, reportedly after Seoul proposed breaking with its custom of financially supporting sports teams visiting from the North.
Tensions have been high between the two countries after the North carried out an extended series of rocket and missile launches.
Source: AFP
GMT 21:55 2018 Monday ,22 January
Cristiano Ronaldo requires stitches after nasty head injuryGMT 19:47 2018 Sunday ,21 January
Fleetwood retains Abu Dhabi HSBC Championship titleGMT 09:48 2018 Sunday ,21 January
North Korea will send 22 athletes to Olympics in SouthGMT 23:44 2018 Saturday ,20 January
Impressive England beat Australia in second ODIGMT 23:25 2018 Saturday ,20 January
Borussia Dortmund deny contact with Arsenal for Pierre-Emerick AubameyangGMT 05:12 2018 Saturday ,20 January
Impressive England beat Australia in second ODIGMT 07:47 2018 Friday ,19 January
N. Korea prepares grand military parade on eve of OlympicsGMT 19:06 2018 Thursday ,18 January
Neymar scores four as Cavani matches Zlatan record

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Send your comments
Your comment as a visitor