russias mutko barred from fifa post
Last Updated : GMT 05:17:37
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
Last Updated : GMT 05:17:37
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice

Russia's Mutko 'barred from FIFA post'

Emiratesvoice, emirates voice

Emiratesvoice, emirates voice Russia's Mutko 'barred from FIFA post'

Russian Deputy Prime Minister Vitaly Mutko was one of five European candidates for seats on the FIFA Council to be decided in April
Zurich - AFP

FIFA has barred Russian deputy prime minister Vitaly Mutko, chief organiser of the 2018 World Cup, from sitting on the world football's ruling council after he failed an eligibility test.

Mutko, who has also been accused of involvement in Russia's sports doping scandal, had been a candidate for a European seat on the FIFA Council to be decided in April.

Mutko, 58, has had a seat on the FIFA top table since 2009. He was barred from standing again because of potential conflicts of interest with his government role, a source close to FIFA said.

The Russian official, an ally of President Vladimir Putin, said he would not appeal against the decision by a FIFA review committee.

"They want the organisation to be politically neutral, so that civil servants and representatives of the authorities of different countries don't run in all bodies. It is their right," Mutko told TASS news agency.

FIFA's ethics code prohibits political interference in football affairs and the world body has in the past suspended national federations where governments have been judged to have taken control.

Mutko's FIFA seat is up for re-election in April and all candidates must be vetted by a review committee under new rules brought in after world football's corruption scandal.

- New blow -

The decision is a new blow to Mutko at a time when Russia has spent huge amounts on attracting events such as the 2014 Winter Olympics and the 2018 World Cup. He was barred from last year's Rio Olympics in the fallout from an inquiry which accused Russia of "state-sponsored" doping.

But the source close to FIFA denied that the doping scandal had played any role in the decision.

"This decision by the review committee was taken because of the deputy prime minister's post that Mr Mutko occupies and so the possible interference and conflicts of interest," the source told AFP.

Putin promoted Mutko from sports minister to deputy prime minister last October despite the controversy raging over doping in Russian sport.

A report by Canadian lawyer Richard McLaren for the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) said the sports ministry had organised the doping.

Mutko and the Russian government have strongly denied any involvement in the use of banned substances however.

The McLaren report "played absolutely no role in the decision of the commission," according to the source close to FIFA.

The commission can also not prevent Mutko from remaining as head of Russia's 2018 World Cup organising committee. He is also head of the Russian federation.

"That is not part of FIFA's jurisdiction," the source said.

The 55-member UEFA will choose its FIFA representatives at a congress in Helsinki on April 5.

The remaining candidates are German federation chief Reinhard Grindel, Hungary's Sandor Csanyi, Cypriot Costakis Koutsokoumnis, former international Dejan Savicevic of Montenegro and Iceland's Geir Thorsteinsson.

FIFA started its integrity check on candidates in December and there have been doubts about Mutko's eligibility since. The other candidates have all passed, sources said.

FIFA president Gianni Infantino has denied however that he had asked Mutko to stand down as World Cup organiser because of the doping controversy.

When WADA released the first McLaren report last July, it called on FIFA to investigate Mutko.

A follow-up McLaren report implicated Mutko in the cover-up of a doping failure by an Uzbek player in the Russian Premier League.

McLaren also said that as sports minister, Mutko must have known about the "state-sponsored" doping programmes used to help Russian athletes at the 2012 London Olympics, 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics, and the 2013 world athletics championships held in Moscow.

He has insisted the doping storm will not disrupt Russia's preparations for the World Cup, to be held in 12 venues across the country from June 14 next year.

source: AFP

Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

russias mutko barred from fifa post russias mutko barred from fifa post

 



Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

russias mutko barred from fifa post russias mutko barred from fifa post

 



GMT 10:18 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon eight

GMT 10:21 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon eleven

GMT 09:58 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon four

GMT 10:18 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon seven

GMT 05:04 2024 Tuesday ,06 February

Skincare PR Performance Full Year 2017

GMT 11:03 2018 Tuesday ,23 January

No end to eyesores at Taj Mahal

GMT 10:21 2018 Monday ,22 January

Hindi Diwas celebrations at Bhavans Kuwait

GMT 15:35 2018 Wednesday ,29 August

Could EU recession lead to more protectionism?

GMT 12:06 2017 Sunday ,19 February

Iran discovers two-billion-barrel shale oil reserves

GMT 14:57 2017 Wednesday ,08 February

US trade deficit falls more than expected in December

GMT 10:20 2018 Friday ,19 January

Talks underway in Catalonia to pick regional leader

GMT 04:32 2017 Saturday ,21 January

Indians try to learn e-payments on the fly

GMT 20:12 2012 Friday ,10 February

1 in 4 UK children targeted by cyber bullying

GMT 12:18 2017 Friday ,10 February

Japan condemns Israel for adopting Bill

GMT 05:08 2017 Wednesday ,31 May

300 drones spread Ramadan message

GMT 06:35 2015 Thursday ,19 February

My intentions are extremely pure

GMT 00:26 2017 Wednesday ,27 September

President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi leaves UAE

GMT 08:39 2017 Tuesday ,13 June

Army chief meets German military delegation

GMT 22:00 2017 Monday ,25 September

Four reasons why Apple's iOS 11 software update rocks

GMT 02:01 2016 Tuesday ,16 August

Chinese Shares Close at 7-Month Highs

GMT 23:41 2017 Thursday ,08 June

Coach of Morocco Tetouan happy

GMT 11:24 2017 Monday ,13 March

Indians in Oman celebrate Holi

GMT 09:22 2017 Thursday ,30 November

Hamas's weapons may block path to Palestinian unity
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
 
 Emirates Voice Facebook,emirates voice facebook  Emirates Voice Twitter,emirates voice twitter Emirates Voice Rss,emirates voice rss  Emirates Voice Youtube,emirates voice youtube  Emirates Voice Youtube,emirates voice youtube

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

emiratesvoieen emiratesvoiceen emiratesvoiceen emiratesvoiceen
emiratesvoice emiratesvoice emiratesvoice
emiratesvoice
بناية النخيل - رأس النبع _ خلف السفارة الفرنسية _بيروت - لبنان
emiratesvoice, Emiratesvoice, Emiratesvoice