kurds thwart new is bid to cut off syrias kobane
Last Updated : GMT 05:17:37
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
Last Updated : GMT 05:17:37
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice

Troops battled jihadists in neighbouring Iraq

Kurds thwart new IS bid to cut off Syria's Kobane

Emiratesvoice, emirates voice

Emiratesvoice, emirates voice Kurds thwart new IS bid to cut off Syria's Kobane

Syrian Kurdish YPG fighters drive on outskirts of Syrian town of Kobane
Mursitpinar - Arab Today

Kurdish forces in the Syrian town of Kobane repulsed a new attempt by Islamic State fighters to cut off the border with Turkey Saturday as troops battled the jihadists in neighbouring Iraq.
A Kurdish official reported five new US-led strikes around Kobane overnight as the coalition kept up its air support for the town's defenders.
But the US military said that while it saw some "encouraging" signs, the strikes might not prevent Kobane's fall and its priority remained the campaign against IS in Iraq.
Heavy IS mortar fire hit the Syrian side of the border crossing with Turkey which is the Kurdish fighters' sole avenue for resupply and the only escape route for remaining civilians, Kurdish official Idris Nassen told AFP.
The jihadists launched a fierce attack from the east towards the border gate before being pushed back, he added.
Nassen said that IS had taken casualties in the fighting, while the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights monitoring group said the jihadists had sent in reinforcements.
UN Syria envoy Staffan de Mistura earlier this month warned that about 12,000 civilians remain in and around Kobane and risk "massacre" if the jihadists cut off the border.
Kobane district chief Anwar Muslim said Friday that IS sniper and mortar fire was preventing authorities from evacuating civilians caught up in the battle.
"Their situation is difficult," he added.
An AFP correspondent on the Turkish side reported sporadic exchanges of fire in eastern Kobane later in the morning but said the crossing area was calm.
- 'Iraq our main effort' -
The US commander overseeing the air war hailed  "encouraging" signs in the defence of Kobane, but said the town could still fall and that Iraq remained the coalition's priority.
"Iraq is our main effort and it has to be, and the things that we're doing right now in Syria are being done primarily to shape the conditions in Iraq," said General Lloyd Austin.
Iraqi government troops are battling IS on two fronts -- in the Anbar provincial capital of Ramadi, west of Baghdad, and near Tikrit, hometown of executed dictator Saddam Hussein.
Ramadi is in a shrinking patch of territory in the predominantly Sunni Arab province where forces loyal to the Shiite-led government still hold ground, and its loss would be a major blow for Baghdad.
Iraqi troops have been struggling to retake and hold ground, despite coalition air support.
Security in the capital also remains a problem with bombings killing nearly 50 people in the past two days alone.
But the Pentagon insisted Baghdad faced no "imminent threat" from the jihadists.
"There are not masses of formations of (IS) forces outside of Baghdad about to come in," spokesman Rear Admiral John Kirby said.
- UN urges Baghdad support -
The US-led coalition has prioritised the campaign against IS in Iraq because it can work with both government and Kurdish forces on the ground.
The UN Security Council on Friday unanimously called for increased support for the Baghdad government in the face of the "vicious string of suicide, vehicle-borne and other attacks" in the capital.
But in Syria, the coalition refuses to work with the government of President Bashar al-Assad, having sided with the opposition in the country's devastating civil war.
Even the Kurdish defenders of Kobane had no direct contact with US official until last weekend, and Washington only revealed that on Thursday.
Previous contacts with the Kurdish Democratic Union Party (PYD) had all been handled through intermediaries, as the group has close ties with the rebel Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) in Turkey -- which is on the US terror blacklist.
The PYD confirmed on Saturday that its leader Saleh Muslim had met in Paris last Sunday with the US special envoy for Syria Daniel Rubinstein.
It said IS attacks on Kobane and Kurdish resistance had been among the topics discussed but made no specific reference to its repeated appeals for weapons for its beleaguered ground forces.
The jihadists are well entrenched in a swathe of Iraq and Syria where they declared an Islamic caliphate in June and have unleashed a wave of atrocities.
They have included massacres of ethnic minority civilians and captured soldiers, and beheadings of Western aid workers and journalists.
Relatives of two Britons murdered by IS urged people of all faiths to come together to fight the hatred espoused by the group, ahead of a memorial service for one of the men on Saturday.
Source: AFP

 

Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

kurds thwart new is bid to cut off syrias kobane kurds thwart new is bid to cut off syrias kobane

 



Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

kurds thwart new is bid to cut off syrias kobane kurds thwart new is bid to cut off syrias kobane

 



GMT 09:58 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon four

GMT 10:16 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon five

GMT 10:22 2018 Wednesday ,24 January

Kabul hotel guests describe lax security

GMT 15:25 2017 Monday ,18 December

Uber struggles to make inroads in Japan

GMT 16:21 2016 Friday ,26 August

Haifa Beseisso: A global citizen on a mission

GMT 15:36 2017 Thursday ,22 June

'Do good at Sunset' charity drive in Jumeirah

GMT 13:04 2017 Tuesday ,14 February

How sleep deprivation affect your work

GMT 22:36 2016 Wednesday ,06 January

Chipotle norovirus outbreak under US criminal probe

GMT 10:08 2018 Wednesday ,24 January

Microsoft to open 4 data centres

GMT 19:15 2018 Tuesday ,23 January

Emirati fined Dh2.2m for embezzling public funds

GMT 04:36 2018 Monday ,22 January

centre-left backs formal coalition talks

GMT 03:41 2016 Thursday ,30 June

UK banks 'well placed' to manage Brexit fallout

GMT 07:36 2017 Friday ,27 October

Federal National Council playing a sterling role
 
 Emirates Voice Facebook,emirates voice facebook  Emirates Voice Twitter,emirates voice twitter Emirates Voice Rss,emirates voice rss  Emirates Voice Youtube,emirates voice youtube  Emirates Voice Youtube,emirates voice youtube

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

emiratesvoieen emiratesvoiceen emiratesvoiceen emiratesvoiceen
emiratesvoice emiratesvoice emiratesvoice
emiratesvoice
بناية النخيل - رأس النبع _ خلف السفارة الفرنسية _بيروت - لبنان
emiratesvoice, Emiratesvoice, Emiratesvoice