gonzalez stops mares to regain wbc title
Last Updated : GMT 05:17:37
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
Last Updated : GMT 05:17:37
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice

Mexican lands left hook in opening round

Gonzalez stops Mares to regain WBC title

Emiratesvoice, emirates voice

Emiratesvoice, emirates voice Gonzalez stops Mares to regain WBC title

Abner Mares reacts after he is knocked down by Jhonny Gonzalez
Los Angeles - Arab Today
Abner Mares reacts after he is knocked down by Jhonny Gonzalez Jhonny Gonzalez defeated previously unbeaten champion Abner Mares in the first round to regain the World Boxing Council featherweight title in shocking fashion on Saturday .
Gonzalez was awarded a TKO victory after nailing Mares with a devastating left hook that floored the champion. Mares got up and continued to fight on the ropes but was knocked down again by a flurry of punches from Gonzalez. The referee stopped the fight at 2:55 of the opening round.
\"I knew Mares was hurt and that sooner or later the fight would be over,\" Gonzalez said.
It was the first career loss for the 27-year-old Mares, who drops to 26-1 with one draw. Mares had won six straight fights since registering a draw against Colombia\'s Yonhy Perez in 2010.
Mares said he thought he could have continued.
\"I was alright but the ref did his job and I respect that,\" he said. \"You win some, you lose some. I am not in this sport to go and carry an undefeated record.
\"I am going to take a break and enjoy my family and my kids.\"
Gonzalez improves to 55-8 with 47 knockouts, as he regained the crown he lost in September to compatriot Daniel Ponce de Leon, who Mares beat in May.
In an earlier bout on the undercard, Leo Santa Cruz pummelled Victor Terrazas with a third round knockout to capture the WBC\'s junior featherweight crown.
Referee Lou Moret stopped the fight at 2:09 of the third, with Terrazas defenseless and unable to see out of his right eye after being knocked down previously in the round.
\"I was not expecting a knockout this early in the fight, I thought it would be later,\" Santa Cruz said.
The challenger dominated from beginning using his superior height and reach to land some heavy punches on Terrazas.
Santa Cruz said he won the title for his brother Roberto who is battling lupus, a disease which affects a person\'s immune system and attacks healthy cells and tissues.
\"It means the world to me,\" said Santa Cruz. \"I want to give the belt to (Roberto) because he is the real champion.\"
Santa Cruz vacated his bantamweight world title to move up to the junior featherweight ranks.
Terrazas falls to 37-3 with one drawn. Coming into the fight he had lost only once since his pro debut a decade ago. Saturday\'s defeat also snapped a 12-fight win streak.
Source: AFP

Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

gonzalez stops mares to regain wbc title gonzalez stops mares to regain wbc title

 



Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

gonzalez stops mares to regain wbc title gonzalez stops mares to regain wbc title

 



GMT 10:18 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon seven

GMT 10:31 2014 Tuesday ,23 December

Mirages of failure: Lebanon cannot wait

GMT 11:03 2018 Tuesday ,23 January

No end to eyesores at Taj Mahal

GMT 08:06 2017 Saturday ,09 December

Turkey's Erdogan holds visit to Greece

GMT 05:26 2013 Monday ,07 October

Malala: Thank God I\'m not dead

GMT 12:31 2011 Thursday ,01 September

Slump in confidence takes its toll on US auto sales

GMT 13:43 2011 Saturday ,10 December

Shaikh Hamad holds talks

GMT 20:46 2011 Wednesday ,03 August

Did Earth once have two moons?

GMT 15:32 2017 Wednesday ,24 May

Israel razes Palestinian factory in Jenin

GMT 12:23 2017 Wednesday ,06 December

JAL invests $10 mln in Boom for supersonic jet project

GMT 10:54 2011 Thursday ,16 June

Heat stress cases on the rise as temperatures soar

GMT 09:10 2017 Wednesday ,22 November

Enough is enough: Saudi foreign minister to Iran

GMT 14:26 2017 Thursday ,28 September

Russia, US shoot for the moon with joint lunar station
 
 Emirates Voice Facebook,emirates voice facebook  Emirates Voice Twitter,emirates voice twitter Emirates Voice Rss,emirates voice rss  Emirates Voice Youtube,emirates voice youtube  Emirates Voice Youtube,emirates voice youtube

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

emiratesvoieen emiratesvoiceen emiratesvoiceen emiratesvoiceen
emiratesvoice emiratesvoice emiratesvoice
emiratesvoice
بناية النخيل - رأس النبع _ خلف السفارة الفرنسية _بيروت - لبنان
emiratesvoice, Emiratesvoice, Emiratesvoice