msf posts grim details from afghan hospital strike
Last Updated : GMT 05:17:37
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
Last Updated : GMT 05:17:37
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice

'I'm praying for you'

MSF posts grim details from Afghan hospital strike

Emiratesvoice, emirates voice

Emiratesvoice, emirates voice MSF posts grim details from Afghan hospital strike

US raid in the northern Afghan city of Kunduz
Kabul - Arab Today

Medical charity MSF Thursday released chilling details from a devastating US bombing of an Afghan hospital, saying staff and patients had been decapitated and lost their limbs with some gunned down from the air.
The raid on October 3 in the northern city in Kunduz killed at least 30 people, sparking an avalanche of global condemnation and forcing the French-founded charity to close the trauma centre.

An AC-130 gunship repeatedly bombed the hospital for around an hour even as MSF staff sent out harrowing messages to officials in Kabul and Washington, informing them of heavy casualties, the charity said in an internal review of the strike.

The review described patients burning in their beds, medical staff decapitated by shrapnel and a nurse who suffered a "traumatic amputation" in the attack.

People were shot at, apparently from the plane, as they tried to flee the burning building, with some eyewitnesses cited in the report saying the shooting appeared to follow those on the run.

"The view from inside the hospital is that this attack was conducted with a purpose to kill and destroy," MSF general director Christopher Stokes said in Kabul.
"But we don't know why. We don't have the view from the cockpit, nor what happened within the US and Afghan military chains of command."

MSF said the raid, which occurred after the Taliban's brief but bloody capture of Kunduz, persistently targeted the main building housing the intensive care unit and emergency rooms despite desperate pleas to officials.

"At 2.56 am an SMS was sent from MSF in Kabul to Resolute Support (NATO) insisting that the air strikes stop and informing that we suspected heavy casualties," read the report.

"At 2.59 am an SMS reply was received by MSF in Kabul from NATO saying 'I'll do my best, praying for you all.'"

- 'War crime' -
Three separate investigations -- led by the US, NATO and Afghan officials -- are looking into the strike, but MSF has labelled the incident a war crime and demanded an independent probe by an international fact-finding commission.

The Pentagon had read the MSF review and was "committed to conducting investigations that are thorough and transparent", Captain Jeff Davis, director of press operations, said in a statement.

"Since this tragic incident, we have worked closely with MSF to determine the facts surrounding it," he said.

"We continue to work closely with MSF in identifying the victims, both those killed and wounded, so that we can conclude our investigations and proceed with follow-on actions to include condolence payments."

President Barack Obama has admitted the strike was a mistake, but the Pentagon has offered shifting explanations for what exactly went wrong.
Afghan officials have repeatedly said that Taliban fighters had sought shelter in the hospital, in a tacit justification for the bombing that drew widespread condemnation.

The charity's review acknowledged that approximately 20 Taliban fighters were being treated in the hospital at the time of the bombing but insisted that "MSF's no-weapons policy" inside the compound was enforced.

"Some public reports are circulating that the attack on our hospital could be justified because we were treating Taliban," Stokes said.

"Wounded combatants are patients under international law, and must be free from attack and treated without discrimination. Medical staff should never be punished or attacked for providing treatment to wounded combatants," he added.

The air strike forced the closure of the trauma centre in Kunduz, which had been a lifeline in the war-battered region.

At least 10 patients and 13 staff are among the 30 dead, MSF said, warning that the toll could rise still further.

The MSF report released Thursday can be found at: http://kunduz.msf.org/pdf/20151030_kunduz_review_EN.pdf

Source: AFP

Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

msf posts grim details from afghan hospital strike msf posts grim details from afghan hospital strike

 



Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

msf posts grim details from afghan hospital strike msf posts grim details from afghan hospital strike

 



GMT 10:18 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon seven

GMT 16:22 2013 Monday ,25 March

Foreign students\' prostitution ban

GMT 06:34 2017 Tuesday ,19 December

'The Last Jedi' rakes in $450.8mn worldwide in opening

GMT 23:26 2017 Friday ,17 November

Activist can't file class action against Facebook

GMT 20:06 2011 Monday ,18 July

Schalke fail with improved Roux bid

GMT 23:42 2014 Thursday ,06 November

Xi book in spotlight at APEC media center

GMT 12:31 2011 Monday ,19 September

For a lasting monsoon look

GMT 06:18 2018 Sunday ,14 January

Doping whistleblower Rodchenkov "to testify"

GMT 23:29 2017 Thursday ,02 February

Protests erupt at airports following Trump travel ban

GMT 14:20 2015 Saturday ,14 November

Paris in shock after terror attacks

GMT 13:13 2013 Tuesday ,12 March

Looking for bedroom inspiration, here’s a few

GMT 18:51 2016 Thursday ,17 November

Iraqi paramilitaries: reached airport west of Mosul

GMT 15:22 2014 Saturday ,27 September

Confederate presents ultra-limited edition Hellcat

GMT 18:24 2015 Friday ,13 February

2 police recruits killed in Libya blast

GMT 00:54 2015 Saturday ,22 August

Arab League chief criticizes Shubra el Kheima blast

GMT 20:24 2013 Monday ,19 August

JW Marriott plans to reopen Tripoli Hotel
 
 Emirates Voice Facebook,emirates voice facebook  Emirates Voice Twitter,emirates voice twitter Emirates Voice Rss,emirates voice rss  Emirates Voice Youtube,emirates voice youtube  Emirates Voice Youtube,emirates voice youtube

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

emiratesvoieen emiratesvoiceen emiratesvoiceen emiratesvoiceen
emiratesvoice emiratesvoice emiratesvoice
emiratesvoice
بناية النخيل - رأس النبع _ خلف السفارة الفرنسية _بيروت - لبنان
emiratesvoice, Emiratesvoice, Emiratesvoice