avoid southern philippines western govts
Last Updated : GMT 05:17:37
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
Last Updated : GMT 05:17:37
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice

Avoid southern Philippines, Western govts

Emiratesvoice, emirates voice

Emiratesvoice, emirates voice Avoid southern Philippines, Western govts

Government troops cross a bridge after securing a village
Abu Dhabi - Emirates Voice

Western governments are warning their citizens against travelling to nearly all of the southern third of the Philippines, citing the rising threats of terror attacks and kidnappings by militants.

Fresh alerts from Britain, Canada and Australia were released this week after President Rodrigo Duterte extended military rule across the southern region of Mindanao until the end of the year to combat the militants.

The Canadian advisory on Monday warned against visiting any part of Mindanao except for Davao, the biggest city in the south.

"There is a serious risk of terrorist attacks and kidnappings in this region," the Canadian government said.

It also cautioned that people should only visit Davao, where the bombing of a crowded night market last year claimed 15 lives, if it was essential. Mindanao comprises roughly a third of the Philippine territory and is home to 20 million people.

The region has endured decades of conflict, with Muslim separatists and communists waging deadly rebellions, and a small group of militants known as the Abu Sayyaf running a lucrative kidnap-for-ransom operation from there.

Western governments have long advised against travelling to parts of Mindanao, but the fresh alerts are more extensive as they warn against visiting almost the whole region.

The new advisories reflect growing concerns that the terrorist group Daesh's influence is rising in Mindanao.

Gunmen who have pledged allegiance to Daesh occupied Marawi, the main Muslim city in the southern Philippines, in May and security forces have been unable to dislodge them despite fierce battles that have claimed more than 600 lives.

Duterte initially imposed martial law across Mindanao immediately after the fighting erupted in Marawi.
The British government advisory, released on Tuesday, warned terrorists were "very likely" to carry out attacks anywhere in the Philippines, including the capital of Manila.

It said the most acute threat was in the south, and warned against travelling through nearly all of Mindanao.

The British advisory said the threat of kidnappings and terrorism also loomed over the central city of Dumaguete and nearby Siquijor island, both tourist areas.

The Australian government warning largely echoed those issued by Britain and Canada.

In a July 18 advisory that warned against travelling to Mindanao, the US embassy in Manila said it had "credible information" that terrorists also planned to conduct kidnappings on the tourist islands of Palawan, Cebu and Bohol in 2017.

Source: Khaleej Times

Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

avoid southern philippines western govts avoid southern philippines western govts

 



Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

avoid southern philippines western govts avoid southern philippines western govts

 



GMT 10:18 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon seven

GMT 09:58 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon four

GMT 10:16 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon five

GMT 06:15 2018 Tuesday ,23 January

Volkswagen clinches record sales

GMT 09:54 2018 Wednesday ,24 January

'Friendly and kind' N. Korean skaters

GMT 10:18 2018 Thursday ,30 August

Iran incapable of closing Hormuz, Bab Al Mandeb

GMT 11:38 2017 Tuesday ,14 November

Barrett gets shot at World Rugby award double

GMT 22:28 2011 Thursday ,10 February

The intermingling of the domestic and the foreign

GMT 06:38 2017 Monday ,21 August

First eclipse in 99 years to sweep North America

GMT 06:59 2017 Saturday ,13 May

King's support at Windsor

GMT 08:12 2017 Sunday ,19 November

EU-Mercosur free-trade pact supporters push for deal

GMT 08:23 2012 Saturday ,18 February

Pop star Katy Perry will donate

GMT 05:11 2013 Sunday ,29 December

Lea Michele to release solo album

GMT 07:02 2011 Sunday ,07 August

Canadian dollar falls on slowing global economy

GMT 06:42 2011 Sunday ,03 July

China\'s service activity cools in June

GMT 10:38 2011 Tuesday ,13 December

Kingdom\'s GDP to grow 5.1% in 2011

GMT 14:22 2011 Monday ,24 October

Christiano Ronaldo eyes Real Madrid 100-goal mark

GMT 21:43 2012 Thursday ,04 October

Meatless Monday improves meal nutrition

GMT 08:24 2014 Wednesday ,30 July

Maksim Chmerkovskiy quits 'Dancing with the Stars'

GMT 18:43 2017 Thursday ,10 August

Manchester United star faces mockery

GMT 10:36 2013 Sunday ,17 November

UAEBBY to sponsor 2015 edition of ICBD

GMT 23:29 2017 Sunday ,12 March

First of six new Dubai parks opens
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
 
 Emirates Voice Facebook,emirates voice facebook  Emirates Voice Twitter,emirates voice twitter Emirates Voice Rss,emirates voice rss  Emirates Voice Youtube,emirates voice youtube  Emirates Voice Youtube,emirates voice youtube

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

emiratesvoieen emiratesvoiceen emiratesvoiceen emiratesvoiceen
emiratesvoice emiratesvoice emiratesvoice
emiratesvoice
بناية النخيل - رأس النبع _ خلف السفارة الفرنسية _بيروت - لبنان
emiratesvoice, Emiratesvoice, Emiratesvoice