us states scramble to block trump’s new travel ban
Last Updated : GMT 05:17:37
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
Last Updated : GMT 05:17:37
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice

US states scramble to block Trump’s new travel ban

Emiratesvoice, emirates voice

Emiratesvoice, emirates voice US states scramble to block Trump’s new travel ban

Washington attorney general Bob Ferguson speaks at a news conference in Seattle
New York - Arab Today

American states are scrambling to block Donald Trump’s revised travel ban, lodging legal challenges and asking for emergency hearings to prevent new restrictions come into force on Thursday.
This week four states joined with Washington to request that the injunction against Mr Trump’s initial ban be further applied to its replacement. Meanwhile 14 more states offered backing to a challenge launched by Hawaii last week.
Opponents say the new version may have been streamlined to avoid tales of American residents being barred from flying home, but it still discriminates against Muslims.
Bob Ferguson, Washington state’s attorney general who has become something of a folk hero for overturning the first ban, said: "No one is above the law, not even the president – and I will hold him accountable to the constitution.
"Cutting some illegal aspects of President Trump’s original travel ban does not cure his affront to our constitution."
Mr Trump’s first attempt at banning arrivals from seven mainly Muslim nations – Iran, Iraq, Libya, Sudan, Somalia, Syria and Yemen – provoked mass protests at airports where passengers were detained on arrival.
It lasted only a week.
A Seattle court imposed an injunction blocking the ban after Mr Ferguson argued that families, universities and businesses were suffering because of the ban. It was later upheld on appeal.
The revised version exempts nationals from Iraq, green card holders as well as other travellers who have already secured visas, and allows for discretionary waivers.
In so doing it aims to avoid the bungled implementation of the original, which still managed to win the backing of more than half of registered voters, according to a Morning Consult/Politico poll published last month.
However, opponents say the revised version still amounts to a Muslim ban and falls foul of the US constitution.
On Monday, Mr Ferguson lodged papers with the same Seattle court accusing the government of attempting to dodge judicial authority by trying to impose a new order.
"Injunctions are not suggestions," reads his emergency motion. "When a court enjoins a defendant from enforcing policies, the defendant cannot evade the injunction by announcing that it will continue only some of the illegal policies. Yet that is what Defendants attempt here."
He asked for a hearing on Tuesday.
Justice James Robart, who heard the original case, said he would not schedule court time until Wednesday, just a day before the new ban is due to come into force.
Instead he asked the government to file its response by the close of business on Tuesday.
A second defeat for the president would be deeply embarrassing.
During the election campaign he accused President Barack Obama and his rival Hillary Clinton of failing to properly tackle terrorism. He made a point of referring to "radical Islamic terrorism" and repeatedly warned of the risks of allowing tens of thousands of Syrian refugees into the country for fear they represented a terrorist "Trojan horse".
He promised to ban all foreign Muslims from entering the country until he had a chance to review the immigration system.
That promise – although watered down – now stands at the heart of the legal challenges.
"President Trump campaigned on the promise of ‘a total and complete shutdown of Muslims entering the United States’," runs Washington state’s legal case. "Although he was repeatedly asked to reconsider this promise, he refused. Put simply, the ‘Muslim ban’ was a centrepiece of the president’s campaign for months."
The complaint claims the second executive order violates the first, tenth and 14 amendments of the US constitution, which were designed, respectively, to prevent the government from preferring one religion over another, to afford everyone the right to due legal process and to ensure that all individuals be treated without bias.
California, Maryland, Massachusetts, New York and Oregon have all joined the case.
The attorney general of New York said international students from the six designated countries enrolled in local institutions were worth an estimated $28.8 million to the state’s economy in 2015.
Eric Schneiderman said: "As our complaint details, President Trump’s second executive order is just a Muslim Ban by another name, seeking to accomplish the same unlawful and unconstitutional goals of the first ban.
"The Trump administration’s continued intent to discriminate against Muslims is clear – and it undermines New York’s families, institutions, and economy."
New York is anticipating its first drop in visitor numbers since 2008 as a result of the ban. The city forecasts welcoming 300,000 fewer international visitors in 2017, representing a 2.1% decrease on last year’s figures.

Source: The National

Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

us states scramble to block trump’s new travel ban us states scramble to block trump’s new travel ban

 



Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

us states scramble to block trump’s new travel ban us states scramble to block trump’s new travel ban

 



GMT 10:16 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon five

GMT 09:58 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon four

GMT 10:18 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon eight

GMT 10:31 2014 Tuesday ,23 December

Mirages of failure: Lebanon cannot wait

GMT 09:39 2018 Thursday ,11 January

China factory gate inflation slows to 13-month low

GMT 21:28 2012 Wednesday ,16 May

EU ships attack pirate land bases in Somalia

GMT 10:30 2017 Saturday ,30 December

Van Dijk a good investment

GMT 12:38 2017 Thursday ,04 May

Protection of forests

GMT 08:05 2017 Sunday ,15 October

Support for women driving shows public

GMT 13:44 2017 Monday ,20 February

Amy Simon, PR Manager at PrettyLittleThing.com

GMT 08:49 2017 Sunday ,24 September

Google looking to help news outlets

GMT 12:44 2017 Monday ,30 October

Astana 7 Sets Issue of Detainees as its Priority

GMT 10:08 2012 Monday ,10 December

4 students killed in road mishap in southern India

GMT 07:53 2012 Wednesday ,01 February

Disney to take controlling stake in India\'s UTV

GMT 14:53 2012 Monday ,13 August

Muslim Council of Britain applauds Olympics

GMT 13:56 2016 Saturday ,03 December

Jet Airways offers fare sale from Gulf

GMT 06:56 2014 Tuesday ,21 January

Rare Amur leopard killed in China
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
 
 Emirates Voice Facebook,emirates voice facebook  Emirates Voice Twitter,emirates voice twitter Emirates Voice Rss,emirates voice rss  Emirates Voice Youtube,emirates voice youtube  Emirates Voice Youtube,emirates voice youtube

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

emiratesvoieen emiratesvoiceen emiratesvoiceen emiratesvoiceen
emiratesvoice emiratesvoice emiratesvoice
emiratesvoice
بناية النخيل - رأس النبع _ خلف السفارة الفرنسية _بيروت - لبنان
emiratesvoice, Emiratesvoice, Emiratesvoice