With Rafael Nadal, Chris Bosh and Carolina Kluft injured and David Beckham and Ian Thorpe past their best, the Olympics have been hit by a raft of pull-outs. “It is one of the saddest days of my career,” said Nadal, who was the gold medallist in tennis singles at Beijing, after announcing his withdrawal from the Games. The Spanish world number three, the winner of 50 career titles, including 11 Grand Slam titles, needs to rest his chronically suspect knees ahead of the US Open in New York next month. His decision meant that he also had to surrender the honour of carrying the Spanish flag at Friday’s opening ceremony, a duty now to be assumed by basketball star Pau Gasol. The United States basketball team will remain heavy favourites for gold despite losing Derrick Rose, Dwayne Wade, Chris Bosh, Dwight Howard, LaMarcus Aldridge and Chauncey Billups. Track and field has also lost Croatia’s double world high jump champion Blanka Vlasic who underwent an Achilles tendon operation in January. Defending triple jump champion Nelson Evora of Portugal is also absent as is great French hope Teddy Thamgho, the world indoor champion in the discipline. Sweden’s three-time world heptathlon champion Carolina Kluft pulled out of the Olympics on Sunday after suffering a thigh injury. Kluft, 29, had been hoping to take part in the long jump but having picked up the injury at a small regional meeting in Kuortane, Finland, she made her decision to skip the Games. “I don’t want to go to London with this kind of preparations,” she said. Kluft was Olympic heptathlon champion at the 2004 Athens Games and took the world title in 2003, 2005 and 2007. Other high-profile absentees from the Games include cyclists Samuel Sanchez of Spain, the defending champion, and Andy Schleck of Luxembourg. from gulf times.
GMT 22:55 2018 Tuesday ,23 January
Manchester United retain world's richest club statusGMT 05:19 2018 Saturday ,20 January
Man City midfielder Fernandinho signs contract extension to 2020GMT 13:46 2018 Friday ,19 January
Borussia Dortmund deny contact with Arsenal for Pierre-Emerick AubameyangGMT 13:38 2018 Thursday ,18 January
Chelsea edge into FA Cup fourth round, Bournemouth rockedGMT 10:38 2018 Thursday ,18 January
Arsenal 'target' Malcom faces rap over videoGMT 07:49 2018 Tuesday ,16 January
Football: Giggs set to be named as Wales bossGMT 07:08 2018 Monday ,15 January
Sevilla let Real off hook with Alaves defeatGMT 07:02 2018 Saturday ,13 January
Everton in talks to sign Arsenal's Walcott

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Send your comments
Your comment as a visitor