greek government stays with decision to cancel greek cup
Last Updated : GMT 05:17:37
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
Last Updated : GMT 05:17:37
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice

Greek government stays with decision to cancel Greek Cup

Emiratesvoice, emirates voice

Emiratesvoice, emirates voice Greek government stays with decision to cancel Greek Cup

Riot police clashes with football fans during the game between Athens arch-rivals Olympiakos and Panathinaikos
Athens - Arab Today

Deputy Sports Minister Stavros Kontonis said Monday he will accept a delegation from FIFA and UEFA on Wednesday to discuss his decision to indefinitely postpone the Greek Cup competition, but insists his actions were justified.

"We will battle to confirm our decision. It was founded on legal terms and is a measure which solves the serious problem of public order," Kontonis told a press conference.

Greek media reported that FIFA and UEFA officials will try to convince Kontonis to withdraw his decision or the country's teams may face disqualification from European and international competitions.

"The government is here. We will come into conflict with not only those with interests, but all those who think they can blackmail or intimidate the government. There is no other road for us except the courts. We will support our decisions in the courts of the country," Kontonis said.

He said the government is doing "whatever it can" to stop the plague of violence at sporting events and added that never before have so many hooligans been taken to court for their actions.

Earlier this month Kontonis postponed the Greek Cup indefinitely for the first time ever, after the competition had reached the semi-final stage, because of violence at the PAOK-Olympiakos match.

Olympiakos were ahead 2-1 in the 89th minute when dozens of hooligans invaded the pitch after referee Andreas Pappas did not award the home team a penalty.

Riot-trained police turned back the fans but not before causing extensive damage to the Toumba Stadium in Thessaloniki.

The Greek federation fined PAOK 100,000 euros ($111,620), were given a five-point Super League deduction and ordered to play three matches behind closed doors.

Last year Kontonis suspended Super League matches following violence between rival sets of supporters.
Source: AFP

 

Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

greek government stays with decision to cancel greek cup greek government stays with decision to cancel greek cup

 



Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

greek government stays with decision to cancel greek cup greek government stays with decision to cancel greek cup

 



GMT 10:18 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon eight

GMT 10:21 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon eleven

GMT 09:58 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon four

GMT 10:18 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon seven

GMT 05:04 2024 Tuesday ,06 February

Skincare PR Performance Full Year 2017

GMT 11:03 2018 Tuesday ,23 January

No end to eyesores at Taj Mahal

GMT 10:21 2018 Monday ,22 January

Hindi Diwas celebrations at Bhavans Kuwait

GMT 15:35 2018 Wednesday ,29 August

Could EU recession lead to more protectionism?

GMT 12:06 2017 Sunday ,19 February

Iran discovers two-billion-barrel shale oil reserves

GMT 14:57 2017 Wednesday ,08 February

US trade deficit falls more than expected in December

GMT 10:20 2018 Friday ,19 January

Talks underway in Catalonia to pick regional leader

GMT 04:32 2017 Saturday ,21 January

Indians try to learn e-payments on the fly

GMT 20:12 2012 Friday ,10 February

1 in 4 UK children targeted by cyber bullying

GMT 12:18 2017 Friday ,10 February

Japan condemns Israel for adopting Bill

GMT 05:08 2017 Wednesday ,31 May

300 drones spread Ramadan message

GMT 06:35 2015 Thursday ,19 February

My intentions are extremely pure

GMT 00:26 2017 Wednesday ,27 September

President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi leaves UAE
 
 Emirates Voice Facebook,emirates voice facebook  Emirates Voice Twitter,emirates voice twitter Emirates Voice Rss,emirates voice rss  Emirates Voice Youtube,emirates voice youtube  Emirates Voice Youtube,emirates voice youtube

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

emiratesvoieen emiratesvoiceen emiratesvoiceen emiratesvoiceen
emiratesvoice emiratesvoice emiratesvoice
emiratesvoice
بناية النخيل - رأس النبع _ خلف السفارة الفرنسية _بيروت - لبنان
emiratesvoice, Emiratesvoice, Emiratesvoice