brazil shifts court for chevron spill cases
Last Updated : GMT 05:17:37
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
Last Updated : GMT 05:17:37
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice

Brazil shifts court for Chevron spill cases

Emiratesvoice, emirates voice

Emiratesvoice, emirates voice Brazil shifts court for Chevron spill cases

Rio de Janeiro - Arabstoday

A Brazilian judge moved two $11 billion civil cases against Chevron and drilling-rig operator Transocean related to an offshore drilling accident and spills to a different court in Rio de Janeiro, a decision that removes a crusading prosecutor from the cases. The momentum is shifting in the legal battle stemming from a rupture in November at a well that Transocean was drilling in the Frade field, which Chevron operates. The latest development, published in a court filing on Friday, comes on the heels of another decision in favor of the companies earlier this week from a separate court, in which a judge denied a request to bar the two companies from operating in Brazil. Eduardo Santos de Oliveira, a federal prosecutor based in the interior of Rio de Janeiro state, filed two 20 billion reais ($11 billion) lawsuits against U.S. oil company Chevron and its contractor Transocean after a November spill of 2,400 to 3,000 barrels and a related March seep in the same field. Friday\'s decision to move the two civil cases does not change the content of the charges, but it removes the cases from Oliveira\'s turf and hands them to another team of prosecutors. The decision did not address the criminal charges that Oliveira also brought against the companies and 17 of their employees that could carry jail sentences up to 31 years. Oliveira told Reuters he will appeal the decision. \"I remain convinced that they should be prosecuted here close to where the crimes occurred,\" he said. Judge Tiago Pereira Macaciel said in a court filing released on Friday that \"the magnitude of the environmental damage exceeds the area subject to the competency of Campos ... making it a regional damage.\" Chevron Corp\'s head of media relations, Kurt Glaubitz, said Chevron Brasil Upstream Frade Ltd, its local subsidiary, was pleased with the court\'s decision. Guy Cantwell, communications chief for Transocean, said by email that the company also questioned the validity of a second civil lawsuit, saying the charges lacked technical grounds. Chevron owns 52 percent of the Frade field, Brazil\'s state-led oil company Petrobras owns 30 percent and a Japanese group led by Inpex Corp and Sojitz Corp owns 18 percent.

Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

brazil shifts court for chevron spill cases brazil shifts court for chevron spill cases

 



Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

brazil shifts court for chevron spill cases brazil shifts court for chevron spill cases

 



GMT 09:58 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon four

GMT 10:16 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon five

GMT 10:22 2018 Wednesday ,24 January

Kabul hotel guests describe lax security

GMT 15:25 2017 Monday ,18 December

Uber struggles to make inroads in Japan

GMT 16:21 2016 Friday ,26 August

Haifa Beseisso: A global citizen on a mission

GMT 15:36 2017 Thursday ,22 June

'Do good at Sunset' charity drive in Jumeirah

GMT 13:04 2017 Tuesday ,14 February

How sleep deprivation affect your work

GMT 22:36 2016 Wednesday ,06 January

Chipotle norovirus outbreak under US criminal probe

GMT 10:08 2018 Wednesday ,24 January

Microsoft to open 4 data centres

GMT 19:15 2018 Tuesday ,23 January

Emirati fined Dh2.2m for embezzling public funds

GMT 04:36 2018 Monday ,22 January

centre-left backs formal coalition talks

GMT 03:41 2016 Thursday ,30 June

UK banks 'well placed' to manage Brexit fallout

GMT 07:36 2017 Friday ,27 October

Federal National Council playing a sterling role
 
 Emirates Voice Facebook,emirates voice facebook  Emirates Voice Twitter,emirates voice twitter Emirates Voice Rss,emirates voice rss  Emirates Voice Youtube,emirates voice youtube  Emirates Voice Youtube,emirates voice youtube

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

emiratesvoieen emiratesvoiceen emiratesvoiceen emiratesvoiceen
emiratesvoice emiratesvoice emiratesvoice
emiratesvoice
بناية النخيل - رأس النبع _ خلف السفارة الفرنسية _بيروت - لبنان
emiratesvoice, Emiratesvoice, Emiratesvoice