Eight Chinese fishing boats at the centre of a standoff between Philippine and Chinese navies have pulled out of a disputed shoal in the South China Sea, officials said Saturday. Only a Chinese surveillance ship and a Philippine coast guard rescue vessel remain in the area of Scarborough Shoal off the Philippines\' north-western coast, DPA reported. \"Tension has decreased in the area,\" said Lieutenant General Anthony Alcantara, a regional Philippine military commander. \"The standoff has been diffused.\" But he said authorities were unable to retrieve corals, giant clams and whale sharks allegedly poached by the fishing boats first spotted in Scarborough Shoal on April 8. Philippine Foreign Secretary Albert del Rosario said the departure of the vessels without confiscation of the poached species was \"regrettable.\" Del Rosario said officials had been willing to allow the Chinese boats to return home only after the illegally harvest was confiscated by Philippine authorities.
GMT 11:16 2018 Tuesday ,23 January
Oil slick off China coast trebles in sizeGMT 12:29 2018 Sunday ,21 January
Spotted hyena returns to Gabon park after 20 yearsGMT 11:18 2018 Friday ,19 January
China says air quality 'improved' in 2017GMT 23:57 2018 Thursday ,18 January
for Great Barrier Reef rescue ideasGMT 23:50 2018 Thursday ,18 January
1.5 C climate goal 'very unlikely' but doableGMT 12:18 2018 Thursday ,18 January
Worst-case global warming scenarios not credible: studyGMT 10:44 2018 Thursday ,18 January
Second giant panda cub born in MalaysiaGMT 08:06 2018 Tuesday ,16 January
Oil tanker's sinking off China raises environmental fears

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Send your comments
Your comment as a visitor