One of two major wildfires that have wreaked havoc in the south of the Portuguese Atlantic island of Madeira was subsiding Thursday, officials said, but the other remained active, dpa reported. About 100 people were evacuated from their homes, while some tourists were moved to hotels elsewhere. Several people were treated for minor problems such as smoke inhalation and sore eyes. The fires have destroyed several uninhabited buildings as well as machinery in an industrial area in Palheiro Ferreiro, in the district of the island capital Funchal. The fire in Palheiro Ferreiro was subsiding, but another one in Ribeira Brava remained active, with firefighters calling for reinforcements. Meanwhile, on the Spanish Canary Island of Tenerife, some people returned home after fires forced the evacuation of more than 2,000 residents. But the fires have remained active, so far destroying an estimated 4,000 hectares of vegetation on the island. Another fire on the Canary Island of La Palma was brought under control on Wednesday.
GMT 11:16 2018 Tuesday ,23 January
Oil slick off China coast trebles in sizeGMT 12:29 2018 Sunday ,21 January
Spotted hyena returns to Gabon park after 20 yearsGMT 11:18 2018 Friday ,19 January
China says air quality 'improved' in 2017GMT 23:57 2018 Thursday ,18 January
for Great Barrier Reef rescue ideasGMT 23:50 2018 Thursday ,18 January
1.5 C climate goal 'very unlikely' but doableGMT 12:18 2018 Thursday ,18 January
Worst-case global warming scenarios not credible: studyGMT 10:44 2018 Thursday ,18 January
Second giant panda cub born in MalaysiaGMT 08:06 2018 Tuesday ,16 January
Oil tanker's sinking off China raises environmental fears

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Send your comments
Your comment as a visitor