
The Philippine government said Wednesday that it will purchase 800,000 metric tons (MT) of imported rice via a tender set on April 15. The Philippines is racing to boost its stockpile to stabilize rice prices and to ensure that the country will have enough stocks during the wet season, when the country is usually visited by strong typhoons. State-run National Food Authority (NFA) said the bidding will be open to all qualified private and government-backed rice suppliers. NFA spokesman Rex Estoperez said the government would require successful bidders to deliver imported rice in four tranches between April and August. The government was forced to import more rice this year after typhoon Haiyan (local name: Yolanda) destroyed rice farmlands in central Philippines and forced the Department of Agriculture to push back its target of attaining rice self-sufficiency. Last year, the country's unmilled rice production grew by 2.27 percent on year to 18.44 million metric tons. Following the onslaught of typhoon Haiyan, the Philippines had announced the importation of an additional 500,000 metric tons of rice from Vietnam.
GMT 09:43 2018 Tuesday ,23 January
Global unemployment down but working poverty rampantGMT 15:13 2018 Sunday ,21 January
All you need to know about Davos 2018GMT 22:33 2018 Saturday ,20 January
Calls for action over dirty money flowingGMT 04:42 2018 Saturday ,20 January
Storm caused 90 mn euros in damage: Dutch insurersGMT 07:06 2018 Friday ,19 January
China economy rebounds in 2017 with 6.9% growthGMT 11:35 2018 Thursday ,18 January
'Massive' infrastructure spending needed in AfricaGMT 14:29 2018 Wednesday ,17 January
GE takes one-off hit of $6.2 bn linked to insurance activitiesGMT 18:55 2018 Tuesday ,16 January
London stock market edges to new high

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Send your comments
Your comment as a visitor