
Iraqi forces on Tuesday completed the recapture of the town of Dhuluiyah, parts of which had been held by the Islamic State jihadist group for months, commanders said.
Pro-government forces had pushed into the town, located 90 kilometres (55 miles) outside Baghdad, from the north two days earlier, fighting their way south.
"Forces from the army and the police and (militiamen) and tribal fighters succeeded today in regaining control of Dhuluiyah," an army major general told AFP.
The officer said that 50 military vehicles advanced from the north and linked up with allied forces in the town's southern Jubur area, which had resisted repeated assault by IS.
This "means the complete liberation of Dhuluiyah and the end of the (IS) presence," he added.
A leader in the Shiite Badr militia, which took part in the operation, confirmed the "complete liberation of Dhuluiyah".
"We succeeded in breaking the blockade which was imposed by (IS) on the Jubur tribe," the commander said.
People fired in the air and honked car horns in celebration, according to a policeman in the town, which is strategically located on roads linking the eastern province of Diyala to Salaheddin province in the north.
Omar al-Juburi, a leader of the tribal forces battling IS, said earlier that military reinforcements had arrived to carry out a renewed push to retake the town.
Clashes took place in some areas on Tuesday where IS forces were holed up in houses, Juburi said.
IS fighters have been carrying out "suicide attacks" on pro-government forces, he added.
On Monday IS published pictures online showing what it described as battles in Dhuluiyah.
In one of the pictures, fighters are seen rigging a car with explosives. Another shows a man carrying out a suicide attack on government forces.
The Iraqi defence ministry said Monday that government warplanes had carried out raids against jihadists positions in the town.
In October, Iraqi forces retook most of Dhuluiyah from IS, but the jihadists later launched a counter-offensive and were able to recapture ground.
Since Sunday government forces backed by Sunni tribesmen and Shiite militiamen have been clearing bombs and other explosives placed by the jihadists in various parts of the town.
IS spearheaded a militant offensive in June that overran Iraq's second city Mosul and then swept through much of the country's Sunni Arab heartland.
Backed by US-led air strikes, Kurdish forces, Shiite militias and Sunni tribesmen, Iraqi troops have since managed to wrest back some territory from the jihadists, but three major cities and swathes of other territory are still outside government control.
The US-led coalition announced that it had carried out eight air strikes against IS in Iraq on Tuesday, targeting fighters as well as vehicles and buildings used by the jihadists.
It also launched seven raids in Syria, where IS has also seized large areas for its self-proclaimed cross-border Islamic "caliphate".
Source: AFP
GMT 16:51 2018 Thursday ,30 August
Lavrov tells West not to obstruct anti-terror operationsGMT 08:47 2018 Wednesday ,24 January
Greenland, Faroe Islands tricky modelsGMT 08:44 2018 Wednesday ,24 January
World powers step up pressure on Syria, RussiaGMT 08:39 2018 Wednesday ,24 January
Another Sisi rival at risk of exiting Egypt election raceGMT 08:30 2018 Wednesday ,24 January
Myanmar blames Bangladesh for delayed Rohingya returnGMT 08:26 2018 Wednesday ,24 January
World powers meet to pressure Syria on chemical attacksGMT 08:20 2018 Wednesday ,24 January
Turkey clashes with Kurdish militia as US sounds alarmGMT 09:06 2018 Tuesday ,23 January
US Democrats accept compromise to end government shutdown

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Send your comments
Your comment as a visitor