Italy warned India on Wednesday that it was creating a “dangerous” precedent by detaining two Italian marines who were on an anti-piracy mission when they allegedly killed two Indian fishermen at sea. Premier Mario Monti relayed the warning during a telephone call with his Indian counterpart Manmohan Singh as the diplomatic standoff reached the highest levels of government as well as the halls of the European Union. According to a statement from Monti’s office, Singh agreed to transfer the marines from prison to somewhere “adequate to their status.” The marines, who were providing anti-piracy security aboard a cargo ship, are accused of shooting the fishermen Feb. 15 after mistaking them for pirates off India’s southwest coast. A court in the southern state of Kerala on Monday ordered them jailed for another two weeks while officials investigate. New Delhi says the case should be tried in India because the killings occurred on an Indian boat. Rome says the shooting took place in international waters and the case should be handled in Italy. Italy says the presence of military personnel aboard the cargo ship is governed by an Italian law conforming to UN anti-piracy resolutions, and that such personnel are part of the Italian state and therefore immune to the jurisdiction of foreign states. Italy has already sent a high-level delegation to New Delhi to try to negotiate the transfer of the marines, and the foreign minister traveled there last week. It has now enlisted the European Union, which has begun making contacts “aimed at finding a satisfactory solution as soon as possible,” according to Maja Kocijancic, a spokeswoman for EU foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton. During the phone call Wednesday, Monti told Singh that any Indian position “not fully in line with international law risks creating a dangerous precedent concerning international peace and anti-piracy missions,” the statement from Monti’s office said. The statement noted that Indian military officers taking part in such missions would similarly be at risk in other jurisdictions if India were to press the case against the Italians. Singh, the statement said, assured Monti he would consider Italy’s requests that the marines be treated appropriately with “maximum attention.”
GMT 01:03 2018 Wednesday ,24 January
Trump 'imitates' Modi's accent in private conversation: ReportGMT 21:24 2018 Tuesday ,23 January
Puigdemont accuses EU of not defending rights in CataloniaGMT 21:18 2018 Tuesday ,23 January
Vietnam oil exec 'kidnapped' from Germany jailed for lifeGMT 21:08 2018 Tuesday ,23 January
Turkey in new assault on Kurdish militiaGMT 21:04 2018 Tuesday ,23 January
Turkey detains 24 over 'terror propaganda'GMT 20:52 2018 Tuesday ,23 January
Dawoodi Bohra leader arrives in DubaiGMT 22:09 2018 Monday ,22 January
Israel apologises to JordanGMT 16:11 2018 Sunday ,21 January
Pope condemns criminals in crime-stricken Peruvian city

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Send your comments
Your comment as a visitor