safety fears delay search for congo blast victims
Last Updated : GMT 05:17:37
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
Last Updated : GMT 05:17:37
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice

Safety fears delay search for Congo blast victims

Emiratesvoice, emirates voice

Emiratesvoice, emirates voice Safety fears delay search for Congo blast victims

Brazzaville - Arabstoday

Fear of unexploded ordnance have slowed down the search for bodies in Congo, where flags have flown at half-mast to mourn nearly 200 victims from blasts at a munitions dump. Red Cross workers have been kept away from the Mpila barracks site in the east of Brazzaville as experts carry out more checks for unexploded munitions in the deadliest accident of its kind in a decade, officials said. Army officers and experts from the international Mines Advisory Group (MAG), which specialises in demining work, have inspected the site. Bullet rounds could still be heard exploding in the danger area on Wednesday (local time). The armouries in the area appeared to have been destroyed in the blast. The main concern now is the danger that unexploded rockets, mortars and other ordnance - scattered across the city by the force of the initial explosions - could still kill unwary civilians. \"If tampered with, they can kill. Children, who are naturally inquisitive, are usually most at risk,\" said Lionel Cattaneo, MAG\'s technical expert in Brazzaville. A statement from the president of the Congolese Red Cross, Christian Sedar Ndinga, said the presence of \"unexploded devices\" is a key concern. \"We hope to be able to get access very quickly (to the barracks\' area) to recover any possible wounded and bodies,\" it said. As well as killing nearly 200 people, Sunday\'s disaster left more than 1,300 wounded. The explosions, blamed on a short-circuit and fire, flattened hundreds of houses in Brazzaville, leaving more than 5,000 people homeless. The blasts were felt as far away as Kinshasa, the capital of the neighbouring Democratic Republic of Congo, across the Congo river. Benin president Thomas Boni Yayi, current chairman of the African Union, flew in to Brazzaville on Wednesday with a medical team to express his condolences and solidarity. He was accompanied by seven medical specialists in burns and five experts who will help in demining. The Congolese human rights\' observatory meanwhile criticised the authorities\' handling of the crisis, saying they had failed \"at all levels\" to deal with the aftermath, especially with the homeless. \'It\'s wiped me out\' In the district around the Mpila barracks of the armoured regiment, soldiers were still restricting access to the area, letting only those who lived there pass. Some people there were still trying to salvage their possessions from what was left of their homes. \"I\'m ruined,\" said retired businessman Benigno Abel Elenga. \"It\'s wiped me out.\" He had built houses there in 1967 and had been living off the rents, he explained. \"In 1997 (after the civil war) they promised us compensation, which didn\'t come. I don\'t believe in it any more,\" he said. He said he would return to his home in Cuvette, in the north of the country, where \"at least there, with a boat and a hammock, I\'ll be able to eat fish\". Nearby, bulldozers and diggers were starting to clear away the rubble as the emergency services kept an eye on the site. Flags were flying at half-mast in the capital as the country mourned its dead. The mourning period is due to last until the victims have been buried, a date that has not yet been fixed. Several schools were closed and there seemed to be limited activity in shops, offices and public transport in some parts of the capital.

Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

safety fears delay search for congo blast victims safety fears delay search for congo blast victims

 



Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

safety fears delay search for congo blast victims safety fears delay search for congo blast victims

 



GMT 10:16 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon five

GMT 09:58 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon four

GMT 10:18 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon seven

GMT 05:04 2024 Tuesday ,06 February

Skincare PR Performance Full Year 2017

GMT 19:19 2018 Sunday ,07 January

Has the good fortune for ETFs run its course?

GMT 10:31 2014 Tuesday ,23 December

Mirages of failure: Lebanon cannot wait

GMT 10:35 2011 Thursday ,06 October

3 Syrian Army and Police martyrs laid to rest

GMT 20:32 2014 Tuesday ,16 December

Egypt criticise attack on Pakistan army school

GMT 06:53 2017 Friday ,17 February

Tunisia announces visa exemption for Chinese tourists

GMT 08:23 2017 Wednesday ,01 November

Saudi Arabia to allow women spectators in stadiums

GMT 12:57 2017 Saturday ,28 October

Libyan army deploys additional forces in Oil Crescent

GMT 12:24 2014 Monday ,03 November

Hlavackova, Hradecka team up again after split

GMT 15:58 2013 Sunday ,03 March

Xinhua launches new media newswire service

GMT 08:33 2012 Wednesday ,07 March

GCC swimming championship begins today
 
 Emirates Voice Facebook,emirates voice facebook  Emirates Voice Twitter,emirates voice twitter Emirates Voice Rss,emirates voice rss  Emirates Voice Youtube,emirates voice youtube  Emirates Voice Youtube,emirates voice youtube

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

emiratesvoieen emiratesvoiceen emiratesvoiceen emiratesvoiceen
emiratesvoice emiratesvoice emiratesvoice
emiratesvoice
بناية النخيل - رأس النبع _ خلف السفارة الفرنسية _بيروت - لبنان
emiratesvoice, Emiratesvoice, Emiratesvoice