australia\s whitehaven duped by news hoax
Last Updated : GMT 05:17:37
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice
Last Updated : GMT 05:17:37
Emiratesvoice, emirates voice

Australia\'s Whitehaven duped by news hoax

Emiratesvoice, emirates voice

Emiratesvoice, emirates voice Australia\'s Whitehaven duped by news hoax

Sydney - AFP

Australia's Whitehaven Coal on Monday said it had been the victim of a hoax after its share price plunged on a fake press release claiming funding for a major project had been withdrawn. Whitehaven, whose major shareholder is Singapore-based Australian millionaire Nathan Tinkler, requested a trading halt after its shares tanked 8.8 percent, wiping more than Aus$314 (US$329) million off its value. The dive followed a media alert around midday Monday purporting to be from major lender ANZ bank claiming it had withdrawn Aus$1.2 billion in funding for Whitehaven's flagship Maules Creek mine. Once trading in the firm was resumed it clawed back most of the losses to end just 0.57 percent lower. The S&P/ASX 200 index was off 0.14 percent. The press release, which was actually from anti-coal activists, blamed "reputational risks and analysis of the returns on this mine in the current climate of high volatility in the coal export market". Whitehaven issued a statement to the Australian stock exchange explaining that it was fake. "Whitehaven Coal Limited has been made aware of a hoax media release suggesting ANZ has withdrawn its recently announced $1.2 billion banking facility to Whitehaven," the miner said. "There is no substance to the hoax media release." ANZ issued a statement confirming it had not issued the release, which was reported by a number of news outlets. "This media release is a hoax and was not issued by ANZ," the bank said. "There have been no announcements from ANZ regarding Whitehaven Coal. ANZ remains fully supportive of Whitehaven Coal." Whitehaven has several operating coal mines in New South Wales state and exploration assets there and in Queensland. Its Maules Creek project, which is yet to receive approval from the Australian government, is expected to commence production this year. It is set to be one of the world's largest open-cut coal mines. The activist claiming responsibility for the hoax, Jonathon Moylan, told Fairfax newspapers he believed the action was warranted. "We considered the decision to run a spoof very carefully before we did it, but we believe it is justified," said Moylan from the Frontline Action on Coal protest group, which is opposed to coal development in the Maules Creek area. "Our primary concern is the impact of this mine on the environment at the end of the day."

Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

australia\s whitehaven duped by news hoax australia\s whitehaven duped by news hoax

 



Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

australia\s whitehaven duped by news hoax australia\s whitehaven duped by news hoax

 



GMT 10:18 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon seven

GMT 09:58 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon four

GMT 10:16 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon five

GMT 06:15 2018 Tuesday ,23 January

Volkswagen clinches record sales

GMT 09:54 2018 Wednesday ,24 January

'Friendly and kind' N. Korean skaters

GMT 10:18 2018 Thursday ,30 August

Iran incapable of closing Hormuz, Bab Al Mandeb

GMT 11:38 2017 Tuesday ,14 November

Barrett gets shot at World Rugby award double

GMT 22:28 2011 Thursday ,10 February

The intermingling of the domestic and the foreign

GMT 06:38 2017 Monday ,21 August

First eclipse in 99 years to sweep North America

GMT 06:59 2017 Saturday ,13 May

King's support at Windsor

GMT 08:12 2017 Sunday ,19 November

EU-Mercosur free-trade pact supporters push for deal

GMT 08:23 2012 Saturday ,18 February

Pop star Katy Perry will donate

GMT 05:11 2013 Sunday ,29 December

Lea Michele to release solo album

GMT 07:02 2011 Sunday ,07 August

Canadian dollar falls on slowing global economy

GMT 06:42 2011 Sunday ,03 July

China\'s service activity cools in June

GMT 10:38 2011 Tuesday ,13 December

Kingdom\'s GDP to grow 5.1% in 2011
 
 Emirates Voice Facebook,emirates voice facebook  Emirates Voice Twitter,emirates voice twitter Emirates Voice Rss,emirates voice rss  Emirates Voice Youtube,emirates voice youtube  Emirates Voice Youtube,emirates voice youtube

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

emiratesvoieen emiratesvoiceen emiratesvoiceen emiratesvoiceen
emiratesvoice emiratesvoice emiratesvoice
emiratesvoice
بناية النخيل - رأس النبع _ خلف السفارة الفرنسية _بيروت - لبنان
emiratesvoice, Emiratesvoice, Emiratesvoice