
Samsung voiced annoyance Thursday after South Korean telecoms operators released its latest smartphone ahead of schedule in order to dodge sales restrictions imposed by regulators. The world's biggest mobile phone maker had planned to release the Galaxy S5 -- first unveiled in February -- globally on April 11. But the South's top operator SK Telecom, along with smaller rivals KT and LG Uplus, started selling the phone on Thursday. Seoul's telecoms regulators have suspended all three firms from signing up new customers for 45-day periods each -- ranging from March to May -- as a penalty for offering illegal discounts. SK Telecom's business suspension begins April 5 -- before Samsung's planned Galaxy S5 launch date -- and continues until May 19. Samsung said in a statement that the earlier-than-scheduled release was made "independently" without its consent. "We express our regret at this decision and we are working to verify all the facts," it said, adding it would stick to the April 11 release date for the rest of the world. SK Telecom said the early release was motivated by a desire to "meet customer needs more quickly". It declined to elaborate further. Samsung is hoping the Galaxy S5 will cement its lead in the global smartphone market. The South Korean giant made about 30 percent of all smartphones sold in the world last year, nearly twice the share of arch-rival Apple. The Galaxy S5 boasts a range of new features including a fingerprint scanner and a built-in heart rate sensor. But Samsung faces a daunting challenge to keep momentum in the increasingly competitive and saturated market. Competition is fierce in South Korea's vibrant mobile market, where the number of subscribers exceeds the country's total population of 50 million as many use several handsets. Nearly 70 percent of the subscribers use smartphones -- one of the highest penetration rates in the world.
GMT 09:47 2018 Tuesday ,23 January
SAP unveils big push into French tech start-upsGMT 05:07 2018 Tuesday ,23 January
Noble Group shares surge 37 percent on buyout talksGMT 19:07 2018 Monday ,22 January
BAKS spent Dh225m on charity projects in 2017GMT 22:52 2018 Sunday ,21 January
French firm "recalls baby milk product"GMT 22:27 2018 Sunday ,21 January
US company plans funds that double bitcoin price movesGMT 21:23 2018 Sunday ,21 January
Pence starts Mideast tour in Egypt amid Arab angerGMT 08:54 2018 Saturday ,20 January
Million-euro bill for firm behind Paris bike-share chaosGMT 10:47 2018 Friday ,19 January
German chemical giant BASF sees 'significant' profit leap

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Send your comments
Your comment as a visitor