
British supermarket giant Tesco on Wednesday took a £1.2-billion ($1.8-billion, 1.4-billion-euro) hit from its failed US division Fresh & Easy, sparking the first drop in annual profits in almost two decades, and confirmed its exit from the United States. Net profits slumped 95 percent to £124 million in its 2012/2013 financial year, from £2.806 billion last time around, Tesco said in a results statement. Revenue edged 1.4 percent higher to £64.83 billion. Earnings dived as Britain's biggest retailer also booked a £804-million writedown on the value of its property portfolio in Britain. The London-listed supermarket also took a £495-million goodwill writedown for its operations in Poland, the Czech Republic and Turkey. Pre-tax profits collapsed 51.5 percent to £1.96 billion in the 52 weeks to February 23, as Tesco was also rocked by "deteriorating" economic conditions in Europe and regulatory restrictions in South Korea. Tesco, which has struggled in recent times in its home market Britain and abroad, added that its performance was also dented by an investment plan that was aimed at turning around its domestic business. "The announcements made today are natural consequences of the strategic changes we first began over a year ago and which conclude today," said chief executive Philip Clarke in the results statement. He added: "We have set the business on the right track to deliver realistic, sustainable and attractive returns and long-term growth for shareholders. "The consequences are non-cash write-offs relating to the United States, from which we today confirm our decision to exit, and for UK property investments which we will not pursue because of our fundamentally different approach to space." "We have also faced external challenges which have affected our performance, notably in Europe and Korea. "Our focus now is on disciplined and targeted investment in those markets with significant growth potential and the opportunity to deliver strong returns." Tesco had already signalled its intention to exit the United States in November. It said on Wednesday that it would not retain any part of the business but has not yet finalised its disposal plans.
GMT 09:47 2018 Tuesday ,23 January
SAP unveils big push into French tech start-upsGMT 05:07 2018 Tuesday ,23 January
Noble Group shares surge 37 percent on buyout talksGMT 19:07 2018 Monday ,22 January
BAKS spent Dh225m on charity projects in 2017GMT 22:52 2018 Sunday ,21 January
French firm "recalls baby milk product"GMT 22:27 2018 Sunday ,21 January
US company plans funds that double bitcoin price movesGMT 21:23 2018 Sunday ,21 January
Pence starts Mideast tour in Egypt amid Arab angerGMT 08:54 2018 Saturday ,20 January
Million-euro bill for firm behind Paris bike-share chaosGMT 10:47 2018 Friday ,19 January
German chemical giant BASF sees 'significant' profit leap

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Send your comments
Your comment as a visitor