Mexico\'s competition watchdog has blocked a $1.6 billion telecoms deal that would have linked companies belonging to two of the country\'s richest men, both companies announced. The Federal Competition Commission\'s board on Wednesday ruled three to two against broadcaster Televisa\'s planned acquisition of half of cell phone company Iusacell, the companies said. Both plan to contest the decision. The decision \"weakens competition in a key sector of Mexico\'s development,\" Televisa, the world\'s biggest Spanish-language broadcaster, said in a statement. The commission said last week it would announce the decision after informing both companies. The deal would have allied Emilio Azcarraga, who owns Televisa, and Ricardo Salinas, who owns Iusacell and Mexico\'s second broadcaster TV Azteca. The commission\'s rejection is a boost for tycoon Carlos Slim, reputedly Mexico\'s richest man, whose operator America Movil claims around 70 percent of the Mexican cell phone market, as well as 80 percent of land lines. Slim is seeking to enter the television market.
GMT 09:43 2018 Tuesday ,23 January
Global unemployment down but working poverty rampantGMT 15:13 2018 Sunday ,21 January
All you need to know about Davos 2018GMT 22:33 2018 Saturday ,20 January
Calls for action over dirty money flowingGMT 04:42 2018 Saturday ,20 January
Storm caused 90 mn euros in damage: Dutch insurersGMT 07:06 2018 Friday ,19 January
China economy rebounds in 2017 with 6.9% growthGMT 11:35 2018 Thursday ,18 January
'Massive' infrastructure spending needed in AfricaGMT 14:29 2018 Wednesday ,17 January
GE takes one-off hit of $6.2 bn linked to insurance activitiesGMT 18:55 2018 Tuesday ,16 January
London stock market edges to new high

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Send your comments
Your comment as a visitor